GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ignition Lock Barrel

Default ,

Last edited by RockJock; 08-31-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Default Most of them just kept fiddling with it until they got it to

turn far enough to use the paper clip... while wiggling the steering wheel back and forth.... I'm not suggesting that you do this but a while back I worked on a POS montero that the customer had no money to replace it and it had a stuck switch where one of the internal pins on the tumbler was damaged.. I ended up working the key back and forth by hand and that didn't do it so i grabbed the key as close to the base of the lock with a pair of pliers since they were screwed anyway and carefully twisted it back and forth with the pliers just a little harder than i did by hand.. eventually it forced the bad pin to shear off and the key worked then... If your looking at a last resort you may want to attempt something like this but keep in mind you could shear the key of then you really get to have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by RockJock
    My car is sitting a couple miles away from home in a parking lot. I removed the key from the ignition in a hurry and now I can't start the car. The key turns far enough to unlock the steering (a few degrees) but not far enough to use the allen key/paper clip trick (i.e. 55-60 degrees) to remove the ignition lock cylinder: http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/0...on-lock-barrel
    I know that several people have had similar issues (Dash01, K_Po_Uno, Gordie ...etc). I've also squirted some silicon lube into the key slot and fiddled with it for about an hour .... no luck ..... I still can't turn it far enough to use the paper clip trick. What are my options? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .....

89' 535iM

Mine started playing up about two months ago. It got worse over about one week until I couldn't turn the key far enough to start the engine or even enough to get a paper clip in the hole in order to remove the barrel. After much perserverance (about 30 mins of jiggling) it finally turned just enough and I managed to insert the clip and remove the ignition barrel. I then used a screwdriver to start the car for a few days until I replaced the barrel. As Bill said, it can be a battle to turn it far enough to insert a paper clip or piece of stiff wire but give it a go and if you manage to get it out don't think you can just squirt it with a little oil to fix it... you won't! Replace with a new one. Forget s/h, you will just be buying problems.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

When this happened to mine, it was due to a small bit of aluminum dislodging inside the steering lock, which consequently jammed the steering lock. I dis-assembled it and removed the bit of aluminum, which was apparently just a small pin used to hold the internal assembly in place prior to mating with the lock cylinder at the factory. This little broken pin got stuck in a groove inside the steering lock, preventing it from rotating properly. Once cleared of this obstruction, the steering lock works perfectly, and is a simple & virtually bullet-proof device.

PM me with your email address, and I'll TRY to send you some pics of the inner workings of the steering lock, etc. (My computer skills with sending pics are not good; sorry.)

While you have it apart, you may as well replace the ignition cylinder, which comes from Patrick at BMA for ~$58, already set to your key, if you provide him with proper info from your car.

Perhaps I should elaborate further than my prior post: Seems to me (based on my own one-shot experience with non-rotating ig. key problems), if the key rotates at all, it is probaly clearing the internal tumblers within the ignition cylinder. In other words, if the ign. cylinder were faulty, the key would not turn even as far as yours reportedly does. This was the case with my car, where the ign. cylinder itself was worn but basically OK, whereas the trouble actually lay inside the steering lock assy, which would not allow sufficient rotation to start the car, due to the broken pin obstruction.

Lacking ESP or X-ray vision, I don't know exactly why yours does not work, but it sure sounds just like the problem that I had, as explained above.

Default I had

The same issue many months back at a convenience store here in PA. I had to have the car towed to my house and diligently workied on it for the next few days. At first the key turned a few millimeters but not enough to get the paper clip in. I kept soaking in PB blaster and eventually it freed up! It has not been a problem whatsoever since it happened in March.

Default Thanks for the input guys!

To everyone that commented - Thanks a bunch! I'll keep the thread alive and let yah know what gives. That's why I love this forum ....
    !