GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member-need help asap!!

Default New member-need help asap!!

Alright here's my problem. I recently put style 32's (originally found on the e39 540's)on my e34. The rear tires are 255 and are the tires that came on the rims when I bought them. The front tires are brand new and are 235. Even at slow speeds I hear a kind of "whining or whurring" noise. I can't really explain the noise. Could this be a rubbing issue, and if so, what would the tires be rubbing on??? I had the wheels balanced on a Hunter Roadforce machine and I thought that would cure the noise and the slight vibration at about 65 mph. Every once in a while, I hear a "ping". The ping noise is somewhat random and happens even after I am outside of the car .(About 2 minutes after turning the car off.) I also have hubcentric rings installed. I know you guys have 255's in the rear so what could the problem be??? Should I replace the rear tires??? I read all of the other threads about a slight shimmy and I ruled out the possibility of worn parts because my car only has 55k miles and the problem NEVER existed before I put the new rims on. BicycleFreak if you are out there give me a hand. I know you had the same rims on your green 540!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The rear tires are probably junky...let me guess -- Kumho Ecsta 712s?!

If the tires were rubbing, the rears would be against the fender or (unlikely) against the spring perch.

Check the bearings to rule out the noise coming from them.

Welcome!

best, whit

indubially(sp??) correct my friend kumho 712's. Also, only have (about) a finger width of room between the spring perch and the tire. Is this normal??
    Last edited by E34 530; 09-13-2005 at 05:27 PM.

read above...close and JUNKY tires can cause the probs your having.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The ping might be the brake rotors cooling down, if the car is stopped this is almost certainly the case. That or the exhaust.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    The rear tires are probably junky...let me guess -- Kumho Ecsta 712s?!

If the tires were rubbing, the rears would be against the fender or (unlikely) against the spring perch.

Check the bearings to rule out the noise coming from them.

Welcome!

best, whit
    Wow, I guy at the tire place (I used to go to) tried to sell me those Kuhmos. I had no idea.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Kumho tires aren't all that bad. I was just being cheap and try to save a few bucks by only buying new front tires. The front tires are as smooth as butter on a hot frying pan lol. (Pretty crappy analogy). Even though I only put them on 1 month ago I am falling in love with Rondell #72's. My parents would KILL me (I'm only 17) if I told them I was buying new rims again because they thought it was completely unnecessary. Pic's will follow when I get the clear indicators on. The front ones just might be the biggest pain in the ass ever. I'll just put an old pic of my car with the carrera 4s for now.

I'm not sure about the rotors because I never heard the noise before I put the new rims on.

That is great that your car only has 55k. And good for you for filling out the user profile.

You are a new member. Have you had your car long?
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Hey, Thanks for welcoming me. I have had the car since I got my license in March of 05. I have only done a few mods (and a few repairs) such as new rims, Euro tails and turning indicators, and Eurotrim.) I definately plan on more mods, I just have to keep working at Eckerd Pharmacy and keep detailing cars. -sigh- (Money is tight while being 17 lol) My next "mod" is to get all the dings pulled out because the previous owner parked the car on the streets on New York City.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast