GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1990 535i Anti-Sway Bar Upgrade

Default 1990 535i Anti-Sway Bar Upgrade

Since I'm about to replace my entire exhaust system and will have the sway bars off anyway, I was thinking of upgrading them to the M5 quality. My brother-in-law replaced his stock E34 anti-sway bars with M5-level sway bars and says it makes a world of difference.

I've searched for a kit and there don't seem to be too many out there? Any suggestions?

bump. i'd also be quite interested.
    92 525iA

Quote Originally Posted by nuwde
    bump. i'd also be quite interested.
    I've got the RD adjustable sways and I like them a lot. Dinan makes some, and you can also get the M5T from Germany I think - ///M quality but even beefier than sedan.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    I've got the RD adjustable sways and I like them a lot. Dinan makes some, and you can also get the M5T from Germany I think - ///M quality but even beefier than sedan.
    Use the standard 25mm M5 bar at the front plus the 20mm rear bar from the Euro M5T. You can get both from BMA - I paid ~U$105 for the 20mm bar this spring. This, combined with OE rubber bushings (buy at the same time from BMA), will give excellent handling and counter the E34's penchant for understeer (thicker rear bar is the trick here). The standard rear bar for the M5 is 18mm. All of these parts will fit in the standard brackets and such. Note: don't try to re-use the rear bar end links - buy new ones.

Also, avoid staggered tire sizes (larger rear width) unless you're making stupid power - wider rear tires increase understeer.

Front bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...47&hg=31&fg=10

Rear bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=33&fg=45
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Actually, you don't have to take the sway bars off to remove the exhaust. The exhaust has to be lowered to change the rear sway bar on an E34. Front is easy peasy.

I currently run a set from Jason's M5 -- 25 front / 18 or 19 rear, I forget the exact numbers. To be frank, I didn't notice much handling difference.

I see the green RD bars on cars all the time. The product is excellent.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Actually, you don't have to take the sway bars off to remove the exhaust. The exhaust has to be lowered to change the rear sway bar on an E34. Front is easy peasy.

I currently run a set from Jason's M5 -- 25 front / 18 or 19 rear, I forget the exact numbers. To be frank, I didn't notice much handling difference.

I see the green RD bars on cars all the time. The product is excellent.

best, whit
    Mine are adjustable, yet blue... could they be RD USA?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Mine are adjustable, yet blue... could they be RD USA?
    Hmm...good question, I don't know. I always assumed the green bars that I've been seeing are RD stuff, but I guess they could be Alpina/Dinan/anything else, really. I'll have to look into it.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Hmm...good question, I don't know. I always assumed the green bars that I've been seeing are RD stuff, but I guess they could be Alpina/Dinan/anything else, really. I'll have to look into it.

best, whit
    I think you're right... but just because I saw it on Bruno's site... I've never seen a name and if it were Dinan, I bet there would be one.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Thank you, Anthony, for your suggestions. By the way, a few years ago I bought an '88 M5 and had it for about a year (one of 600 imported to the US that year, I think) and still kick myself for selling it, but my lifestyle at the time didn't lend itself to holding onto it (lots of commuting in stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper traffic during the week, city street parking). I look forward to buying another M series in the not-too-distant future.

Thanks much, Robin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast