GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AHHHH!!! Differential ... !!!

Default AHHHH!!! Differential ... !!!

I'm going to have a mechanically new car here soon! =| The amount of things I've been replacing...

I changed my diff oil and it would be a safe bet that it had never been changed before ... with 202k+ miles on it ... metal flakes and dark oil. I started to get driveline noise, maybe a month or so after that. So, I changed it again, thinking that the level may be off ... more flakes

Pretty sure that I need it rebuilt or new? I've heard that it may just be the bearing ... not sure till it's opened up.

I called for an estimate and was told that parts alone would be from $1695 - $4500 ... and that the parts a hard to come by! AHHHHHHH!!

Is it possible to find replacement parts or new the only way to go? I realize that there is used ... but who knows how long that will last then.

Where do I find the ID tag on it so that I can let them know which ratio, etc. that I need?

Input is appreciated!

For those who have not checked your diff ... do it before it gets

Thanks,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by zuzuk212
    For those who have not checked your diff ... do it before it gets
    What are we checking for?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    What are we checking for?
    If you have a lot of miles put on it and not sure if the oil has been changed ... change it and look at the color and for metal.

Ken

You should be able to purchase a decent used diffy for about $400 or so. Installation is not difficult if you are reasonably handy. Otherwise, installation shouldn't be more than $150 or so.

If you post the last 7 digits of your VIN, we can lookup the car in ETK and tell you exactly what unit you have. Minimally, we need the year, engine and transmission type.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    You should be able to purchase a decent used diffy for about $400 or so. Installation is not difficult if you are reasonably handy. Otherwise, installation shouldn't be more than $150 or so.

If you post the last 7 digits of your VIN, we can lookup the car in ETK and tell you exactly what unit you have. Minimally, we need the year, engine and transmission type.
    `93 525i
    M50 5spd
    GB35613

Can a used one be trusted though? Should I have it taken apart and checked before using it? Is it possible that it's just my bearing and everything else is ok?
    One last question ... I see quite a few E34's around here ... what's up with parts?!

Sorry, I'm frustrated here

Thanks for the input!
    Ken

get a used one if you need to rebuild it.

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/rearend.html
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ken, I have a couple of used Diffs- mostly "open" diffs right now- though I do come across Limited Slips once in a while. I actually have a '93 525i 5 speed parts car- so it should be exactly the same as your car- unless you have LSD....

Let me know what ratio you have and if it's LSD or open and I'll see if I've got one for you.

Thanks!!

Bret

Default Hmm..my ETK doesn't give the ratio however..

..sounds like Brett has one you could use. Of course, if it's not making noise then you don't have too much to worry about. Flakes in the oil is a problem of course but you will always get some metal in the diffy fluid. Obviously, you shouldn't get much.

To find out of you have the LSD or not, the best way is to inspect the tag on the diffy. There's a small foil like tag typically on the drivers side that has some info stamped on it. You'll see something like S3.46 and some more numbers. The S indicates a limited slip unit. No S, no LS. The next group of numbers is the gear ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    Ken, I have a couple of used Diffs- mostly "open" diffs right now- though I do come across Limited Slips once in a while. I actually have a '93 525i 5 speed parts car- so it should be exactly the same as your car- unless you have LSD....

Let me know what ratio you have and if it's LSD or open and I'll see if I've got one for you.

Thanks!!

Bret
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

[QUOTE=Jeff N.]..sounds like Brett has one you could use. Of course, if it's not making noise then you don't have too much to worry about. Flakes in the oil is a problem of course but you will always get some metal in the diffy fluid. Obviously, you shouldn't get much.QUOTE]

Oh ... it's making noise ... that's why I changed the oil again.

Could it be 3.2 LS? Look it up again and you'll see that in one of the columns ... it doesn't blatently state it but it looks like it might make sense? Also it says 25% ... would that be the LS?

Thanks for checking into it.
    I'll see if I can find the tag and reply with the result so we know if it matches the etk.

Ken

[QUOTE=zuzuk212]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    ..sounds like Brett has one you could use. Of course, if it's not making noise then you don't have too much to worry about. Flakes in the oil is a problem of course but you will always get some metal in the diffy fluid. Obviously, you shouldn't get much.QUOTE]

Oh ... it's making noise ... that's why I changed the oil again.

Could it be 3.2 LS? Look it up again and you'll see that in one of the columns ... it doesn't blatently state it but it looks like it might make sense? Also it says 25% ... would that be the LS?

Thanks for checking into it.
    I'll see if I can find the tag and reply with the result so we know if it matches the etk.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast