GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need e34 v8 owner's option!!!!

Default I need e34 v8 owner's option!!!!

I am in the market for another e34 and I am not having much luck finding a 525i that is in better shape than my car.Which has alittle rust developing on the lower parts of the doors and a slight gliche with the trany the car is perfect! My question is are the v8 e34 reliable as the m50v6 in the e34's. My mechanic in Boston has told me to stay away from the v8's for they are a money pit on wheels. He claims that BMW has never made a great v8 in his eyes,that the v6's are the way to go!!! " they are bulletproof" But in my search for a new e34 their are alot of 540's out their in great shape,manual trany,and w/ low miles on them too!! I just need some options on this matter and would appreciate any I can get on my car dilemma
    Thanks in advance for all your trusted opinions!!!!!!!!
    Daniel
    Daniel
    chefdanny121@yahoo.com
    92' 525i

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the M50 & M52 straight sixes, not V6 ?
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

V6, i think not. The v8 is a beautiful thing, the power and grunt are wonderful the the sound is superb. Look at all the mods you would have to do to a 6 to get what is stock on the 540. engine power, brakes, transmission, suspension, brake ducts. i am supremely happy with my 540 and have not had any experience in the 'money pit'
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

Quote Originally Posted by chefdanny121
    I am in the market for another e34 and I am not having much luck finding a 525i that is in better shape than my car.Which has alittle rust developing on the lower parts of the doors and a slight gliche with the trany the car is perfect! My question is are the v8 e34 reliable as the m50v6 in the e34's. My mechanic in Boston has told me to stay away from the v8's for they are a money pit on wheels. He claims that BMW has never made a great v8 in his eyes,that the v6's are the way to go!!! " they are bulletproof" But in my search for a new e34 their are alot of 540's out their in great shape,manual trany,and w/ low miles on them too!! I just need some options on this matter and would appreciate any I can get on my car dilemma
    Thanks in advance for all your trusted opinions!!!!!!!!
    Daniel
    If your mechanic told you that the car has a V6, you probably want to stay away from him, as well.

best, whit

Default 540i

I have owned my '94 540i for over two years now and have had very little problems with it. The only things I had to do early on, was have the valve body in the auto tranny replaced and the valve cover gaskets replaced. It sounds like you are looking for a stick shift, so you would not have to worry about the valve body issue. I bought it with 89,000 miles on it, and it now has over 131,000 miles and still runs strong and is quiet. Really the only thing I can think of that makes the V-8s more expensive to fix is because it's quite cramped in that engine compartment and you have a couple more spark plugs to replace. If I had to do it all over again though, I would have bought a '95 instead of a '94 because the '95s have side turn indicator lights, the upgraded alarm system with integrated key/remote, newer style steering wheel with actual roundel, leather door inserts, and I believe the vinyl covering on the doors don't have the shrinking problem that earlier model years do. -- Michael

Now there's an understated reply!

I'd like to know myself... I'm also selling my 525i in the hopes of a solid 540i or even a 535i (must be manual)... so hearing from a current e34 V8 owner would be a big help

My father owned an E32 740il. for a couple of years with no problems. Stupendous engine.

I'd swap my 535 for a 540 in a heartbeat if I had the cash lying around. Maybe next year...

sorry for the typo about the v6!!!!!!!!!!
    Daniel
    chefdanny121@yahoo.com
    92' 525i

540s have got to be cool, I have a 530 and havent had any problems at all engine related. Think about it this way, BMW made it, they wouldnt have released some guinea pig V8 contraption in a 50K car.

The only thing that IS questionable with these is the Nikasil problem if they go bad but I havent had any problems in that aspect either. Some swear by them (me included) some swear at them.

Do your research and make sure you find a well maintained car, have it inspected and remember the $10k rule still applies.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast