GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: AutoTrans Fluid Change

Default AutoTrans Fluid Change

I have a 1991 525I. I am changing the trans fluid and I do not have a dipstick or filler tube. How do I get the fluid back in the system and how much should I put in? Thanks for the help

Default Check the archives before doing anything

There is a specific procedure that should be detailed there. In general it involves leveling the car, refilling the pan, warming the trany/fluid to a specific temperature and filling to a specific level based on temperature. Looks like fun!

You may need a fluid pump to put trany fluid in the filler hole. Do you have filter and gasket kit for both pans? Highly recommended.

Also get a Bentley repair manual if you do not have one. About $50. Helfpul on much to do with most issues on the E34.

All this said, how can you even start doing a job like this without knowing a few facts? Sorry to rant a bit.

I would recommend having it done by a BMW independent shop. It is just a pain to do properly if you do not have a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSTL
    I have a 1991 525I. I am changing the trans fluid and I do not have a dipstick or filler tube. How do I get the fluid back in the system and how much should I put in? Thanks for the help
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default filler tube

Thanks for the advice...

I have the bentley repair manual, but it doesn't really give much instruction. I can follow a tube that would appear to be a filler tube in the engine compatment. it has a cap and appears to have a spring in it. Are you familiar with this tube, and how do i get the cap off. i have the full kit with both gaskets. help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    There is a specific procedure that should be detailed there. In general it involves leveling the car, refilling the pan, warming the trany/fluid to a specific temperature and filling to a specific level based on temperature. Looks like fun!

You may need a fluid pump to put trany fluid in the filler hole. Do you have filter and gasket kit for both pans? Highly recommended.

Also get a Bentley repair manual if you do not have one. About $50. Helfpul on much to do with most issues on the E34.

All this said, how can you even start doing a job like this without knowing a few facts? Sorry to rant a bit.

I would recommend having it done by a BMW independent shop. It is just a pain to do properly if you do not have a lift.

****...and I thought I have bad days...

is it the trans filler tube? If it is you can add the fluid into that. Only drain what comes out of the pan, dont have it flushed, only fill till it says full when the trans is warm.

I miss anything?

Thanks for the advice...I can follow a tube that would appear to be a filler tube in the engine compatment. it has a cap and appears to have a spring in it. Are you familiar with this tube, and how do i get the cap off. i have the full kit with both gaskets. help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 09-10-2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Dyslexia
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Is Anyone familiar with the procedure?

This really should not be that hard of a maintenance repair, but of course there always have to be a few quarks!!!. Is anyone familiar witht the trans filler tube on a 91 525i? The cap is black with an arrow on it. how do you get the cap off. when i twist it it sounds like there is a spring inside. I am not flushing the the transmission, but just replacing the fluid that came out. there are no filler plucgs on the trans or the pan. Is this the filler tube? I followed it up from the transmission, but I cannot get the cap off. All I need to do to finish is replace the fluid... I have read and consulted a few articles, but none of them covered all of the issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    ****...and I thought I have bad days...

is it the trans filler tube? If it is you can add the fluid into that. Only drain what comes out of the pan, dont have it flushed, only fill till it says full when the trans is warm.

I miss anything?

Default Use gravity

Level the car on jackstands.

Drain the fluid, (the drain plug is on the right side)
    remove both pans if changing the filter.

Fill the pan through the fill plug on the left. Use a piece of clear plastic hose ~1/2" ID and 2 to 3 feet long from home depot or your favorite place. Snake the hose from the engine compartment along the left side of the transmission to the fill plug. Use a funnel at the top and let gravity do the rest. The correct level is even with the bottom of the fill plug at the temp. given in the Bentley book.

Warren
    91 318is
    95 525iT

Default This seems different

Is it possible you have a "transition" transmission that BMW did not remove the filler tube and just left it in place and put a "non removable cap" over the filler tube? If so, you might be able to get the proper transmission dipstick and service like it like an earlier model. I know this may not help today. However, you could set yourself for future transmission service.

Thanks for the advice...

I have the bentley repair manual, but it doesn't really give much instruction. I can follow a tube that would appear to be a filler tube in the engine compatment. it has a cap and appears to have a spring in it. Are you familiar with this tube, and how do i get the cap off. i have the full kit with both gaskets. help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

it is in fact a dipstick, but i cannot remove the cap!! I can see the end of the dipstick that would check the level . i would assume that it should pull off, but it won't

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Is it possible you have a "transition" transmission that BMW did not remove the filler tube and just left it in place and put a "non removable cap" over the filler tube? If so, you might be able to get the proper transmission dipstick and service like it like an earlier model. I know this may not help today. However, you could set yourself for future transmission service.

Default Removing trans dip stick

it is in fact a dipstick, but i cannot remove the cap!! I can see the end of the dipstick that would check the level . i would assume that it should pull off, but it won't
    You have to puch the dipstick in the direction of the arrow and while keeping pressure on it in the direction the arrow is pointing, pull the dipstick out. It is not intuitive, I had the same problem. Agree with previous recommendation to review the procedures in the archives if you have not serviced the transmission before. You can by a kit which includes gaskets for both pans, the filter and a set of replacement nuts from BMA. http://www.bmaautoparts.com/
    Michael Feeney
    91 and 95 525i