GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 2 quick questions. (shocks and cluster)

Default 2 quick questions. (shocks and cluster)

ok, first one: got under the car today do solve a clunk i've been experiencing for a couple of days. checked sway bar links( realy tight) ,sway bar bushings were changed 5k km ago, everything was tight. then, while trying to relax a little and see what i'm missing i noticed that the right side of the car sits a bit lower than the left. springs look ok but the shock seems gone. this is what i understand by gone: if i push down on the car on that side it bounces up and the down. if i push in a regular patern it realy bounces and is poofing air going up and down no matter how small the movement is.
    so i am thinking that a worn out shock could cause the car to sag on one side a little coz it takes some of the load... but can it cause any noises? like a clunk going over bumps?
    and second one totaly un-related) on every cold morning, when i start her up the RPM gauge works realy sluggish (like i'm accelerating, RPM at 1200 for example and when i reach 1800 it just jumps there.) this goes on for a maximum of 2-3 mins. if i push it a little (2500-2600 RPM) and then take it out of gear so the rpm drops quickly it drops smoother and allso goes up smoother next time i accelerate( takes much smaller steps). this particular problem seems quite strange to me, because i realy don't see how the cold weather affects the instrument cluster...

sorry for the long and boring post , but i've been meening to ask u guys some time ago bout this . as allways any input whould be appreciated.

Those sway bar links should be #1 on everyone's list of clunk sources. When you inspect them, you have to be careful to remove any preload on the sway bar, otherwise the link, even a bad one, will seem to be tight.

give the shock collar a twist to tighten them. Balljoints can cause a clunk too.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Cold weather affects the cluster. The capacitors have to be replaced. They are old.
    http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/...dash_caps.html