GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever re-upholstered their rear package shelf?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone ever re-upholstered their rear package shelf?

Noticed mine was coming unglued and lifting last time I vacuumed the interior. Sun has faded it also. I guess I could do it the same way as the headliner using the same material etc. Any thoughts?
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Default Check with BMA for a new one

BMA quoted me about $150-175. Local dealer was about $275. I decided to wait until I needed to install rear shocks and install a new shelf then.

I have heard of people recovering with headliner material as you suggested. Check the old archives. There may be something there.

I considered recoloring until I found the fabric is loose. Also a local auto upholstery shop said the material will not dye evenly as it is velour like material.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    Noticed mine was coming unglued and lifting last time I vacuumed the interior. Sun has faded it also. I guess I could do it the same way as the headliner using the same material etc. Any thoughts?
    JR
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    BMA quoted me about $150-175. Local dealer was about $275. I decided to wait until I needed to install rear shocks and install a new shelf then.

I have heard of people recovering with headliner material as you suggested. Check the old archives. There may be something there.

I considered recoloring until I found the fabric is loose. Also a local auto upholstery shop said the material will not dye evenly as it is velour like material.

Good luck

I will soon be covering my rear package shelf in alacantara ultra-suede material.

Default Tell us more...

Where did you get the material? cost? color match? etc
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Yes, please tell us more.

Default Anyone done this?

I need a source of material. Per shogun's experience with headliners, I think I need to stick with 1/8 material. What is is the best glue/bonding agent to use?

TIA

Yes, please tell us more.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Any US suppliers of 1/8 material?

I have searched the web and archives. No luck yet. TIA

I need a source of material. Per shogun's experience with headliners, I think I need to stick with 1/8 material. What is is the best glue/bonding agent to use?

TIA
    Thanks,

i recovered mine (previous owner had a very unruly dog that tore through it and a couple of other areas....). while it looks ok, it didn't come out as well as i'd like. there are a lot more nooks and crannies and headliner material just wasn't very effective (it's lifting). plus - it gets direct sun so it gets hot. i found that glue wasn't effective.

at some point, if i see on from a wreck or on ebay for a decent price, i'll go that route. it's not a priority as it doesn't look horrible.
    steven

91 525ia

The procedure would have to be similar to replacing the headliner. Checkout Shogun's Headliner post from yesterday.

Default That I did but

Looking for US supplier of 1/8" material. None he mentioned seems to have anything but 1/4" material. Thanks for the thought.

]The procedure would have to be similar to replacing the headliner. Checkout Shogun's Headliner post from yesterday.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast