GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to sell a 15 year old e34 with 200k

Default How to sell a 15 year old e34 with 200k

Those of you how saw the "happy dance" thread know that we sold the lip.

I promised I would share the "sales brochure" that allowed him to sell himself. This is all the best of my marketing classes in my MBA program, the experience I gained in my 2004 ebay addiction, and my psych background.

This brochure does a couple of things. (1) It uses the Starbucks model of you are not selling $4 cup of coffee, you are selling an experience. I describe what I understand the e34 experience to be. (2) It use the wiifm principle--"whats in it for me" buying this car. (3) It addresses the suspicions people have about why are you selling without communicating desparation for money. And it addresses the mileage issue and the fear people have that everything is ready to break on a high mileage car. I owe the responses in that section to people on this board who offered advice to others who were selling and to the people who voiced their frustration that potential buyers are afraid of the miles.

I am not suggesting that you do what we did exactly cause we are in a pretty unique market for older BMWs. But where-ever you are and whenever you sell you e34 (god forbid), this will help you deal with the concerns in the minds of your potential buyers and will help you help potential buyers to recognize what fabulous cars e34s are. Remember--when you sell, convert the buyer into an enthusiast.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Nice copy, Gayle.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Thanks Gayle,

I've saved this for ideas, just in case I buy a second one I want to sell

Dave m

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

that's a lot better than 'FOR SALE: (phone number)' ! So many people don't even include the price because it might scare off potential buyers, but without a base price most people won't even bother

you are correct that most people are scared by mileage, but the fact you had a a nearly new engine in there would've been a strong selling point. for a 'normal' person the engine is the only part of the car that ever breaks, so a 37000 mile one is far more attractive than a 200000 mile one..

another bit of info to add would be that the E34 was designed and released at a time when money was no object when designing and building a car, unlike today! I personally see new cars as cheap and nasty in most cases, the cost cutting is evident before you even open the door... the E34s, like the S class mercs from the 80s (w126) are pure quality (except the door brakes)

are you sure about the new 7 being the same size as the e34? i was next to one at the lights the other day and i felt like a little kid looking up at their daddy.. those things can only be classified as a tank!

btw, how cool is it looking through those sales brochures! i would love to have a hard copy of those ...

Default Pass the waders and the snow shovel..

It's getting deep!

Madison Ave. watch out

You left out the story of BMW's aviation history and how this is carried on to BMW’s cars and how it is to be maintained like an aircraft, so it does not fail on the road. But rather has a scheduled maintenance program built in to the car that demands oil changes and inspections at regular intervals based on a combination of mileage and hours. (Like an aircraft)

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Nice poetic licence ! May I suggest you sit in a new 3 series to get your size perspectives right !
    The tears are still flowing - just as well I can touch - type (joke) !
    What ? Didn't you want the car to go to an illiterate who couldn't read ?
    Nicely done though !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    Nice poetic licence ! May I suggest you sit in a new 3 series to get your size perspectives right !
    The tears are still flowing - just as well I can touch - type (joke) !
    What ? Didn't you want the car to go to an illiterate who couldn't read ?
    Nicely done though !
    I always want my former possessions to go to a good home. Anyone who is going to keep the lip on the road will have to be able to read--whether it is bentley, this forum, or whatever. It was a pre-qualification test--are you worthy to own this car?

I fully expected to be challenged on the factual accurary of some of the things I said in there, but I am surprised it is the size thing. I am always shocked when I get in younger bmws how small they are. This so cal. Everyone has a bmw, so it is not an infrequent occurance to ride in youner bmws. The 2001 525 I went to lunch in last week had the interrior size of my former e30 convertible. My next door neighbor has a new 7. It looks small sitting on the street (his wifes new convertible and his sons 3 get the garage). Think I will sneak out with my tape measure.

And Randall, no doubt the upper engine was a plus. But when we ambivalently (changed my mind daily for about six weeks whether or not to sell it) put the lip up for sale on auto trader last spring, it didn't occur to us to mention the new engine. Duh. And I think it is pretty easy to make a case that these engines are strong. It is really all the other stuff around them that fails. I think it is a smart thing to say to a buyer, this is what normally fails at xx mileage and it has already been replaced on this car.
    Last edited by Gayle; 09-08-2005 at 06:55 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

I cant download the brochure. Is it just me?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    I cant download the brochure. Is it just me?
    I dont know, but it was darn good. If you can't download it, post your email and I will send it to you.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Please be considerate of the neighborhood and don’t turn this flyer into liter
    Actually it's 2.5 liter isn't it??

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast