GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A possible simple solution to a posibly (likely) expensive problem

Default A possible simple solution to a posibly (likely) expensive problem

OK here is my root problem, Whenever i shift into reverse, after a delay of about a second or more the reverse will engage, the car will creep slowly (if im lucky and not too heavy) but accelerating will not increase the speed, it seems like the clutches are slipping. basically the reverse is crap. So here is my secondary problem qhich could (hopefully) be linked to the first one. The shifter lever, may be off a little because in neutral the dash wont show N, only if you pull it closer to the R, so that smells like alignment, and then also in neutral, when you apply the brake and release thebrake, a popping/click (sounds like flicking your monitor on a hollow spot with your middlefinger nail)noise is heard from under the shift console, this is only in neutral.

any help, or inputs would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by mzarifkar; 09-08-2005 at 06:41 AM.

*bump*

it's possible that it's slightly out of adjustment but it can't be too far out as you are not complaining about the car not wanting to crank, the click when you hit the brake is the little solonoid that keeps you from taking the car out of park without being on the brake (i hate those things when working on cars at the shop)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

First thing to do is pull the wood console cover and check the neutral position switch. I saw this last week on a non TU M50 525. There are two things that are probably happening: 1) the NPS itself is worn/dirty/shorting in certain positions, 2) the shift gate detents are worn and have notches in them from years of gear selecting. Additionally, a misadjusted shifter linkage can contribute to the problem. The aforementioned car had all three issues. The solution was to replace the shift assembly. I am not sure if the NPS can be purchased separately on the later model cars -- there was some speculation that it couldn't be obtained without the lever mechanism (if just the NPS is bad). I always thought the NPS could be purchased separately for all E34s, but that may not be the case.

How long has the car been doing this? Since you're a newer member, I'll take the liberty of assuming that the car is a recent purchase and it's been happening for a while, which is bad news (and something you'll want to get fixed immediately) -- this kind of shifter behavior + A4S310r trans = rebuild time... Unfortunately, BMW has been using GM trannies for a while now, and subsequently, I've been reading a lot about them and all of their shitty problems recently.

It may also be wise to check fluid level, but it would likely slip in forward gears/when going through corners, as well.

One final tidbit: take care of it immediately. It might be wise to tow the car to the shop if you're not planning on doing the work yourself. On my own car, a previous owner who wouldn't take no for an answer and me driving ~ 500 miles caused remachining of hard parts in the trans. At that point, a rebuild isn't cost effective -- it has to be replace with a factory reman.

best, whit

Mine does the delayed reverse engagement thing... But it's a completely different transmission. When I shift into reverse and step on the gas, it will move slowly then BANG, and it's in properly. If I really step on the gas... I get burning trans fluid smell, and "trans program" on the dash.

It's done this for at least two years and 50,000km, but keeps on trucking...

Sounds like this problem to me... I've got it too. Had it for at least 3-4 years with no worsening or problem. This is a 16 page service doc that I can't figure out how to attach from my computer. Let me know and I'll email it to you if you like.

Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

The car, a '95 525 m50tu , we have had the car in our family since dec 2003, the reverse problem came up probably 6 months into it (that we noticed, because usually i dont hit accelerator in reverse) it has not affected foward gear, but it does pendulum shift, the reverse tend to work better when the engine (tranny) is (are) cold, but i havent scientifically proven this. Everynow and then when i somehow park somwhere that i cant roll out of, by pressing the accelerator, it feels like a clutch is slipping (like theres not enough pressure on it) the car will vibrate and erraticly move backwards,

Scotty, please do send me the service pages, i would appreciate that, m-zarifkar@cornellcollege.edu

Is there a simple way of fixing this? tranny replacement is not really an option $$ speaking so i would like to try everything else first, the dealer didnt even bother with diagnosing, they just told me i need a new one, the local transmission shop, called the dealer for a new tranny, so that didnt get me anywhere