GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is any amount of play in the pitman arms acceptable?

Default is any amount of play in the pitman arms acceptable?

I'm about to order a new set from, my left has more play than the right is that normal? they only have about 44k miles on them.

pitman arms?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

i was thinking the same thing, however i rulled out the pitman arm becasue he's getting a set. play is acceptable untill they break however how much play you want depends on how you like the ride.

Default I just replaced the tie rod ends and...

stabilizer links last weekend. Also, replaced the center tie rod link while I was at it. The pitman arms didn't have any play but the center tie rod link did. Any kind of play no matter how insignificant it is begs for replacement. I would replace them even though they may be a PITA to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    I'm about to order a new set from, my left has more play than the right is that normal? they only have about 44k miles on them.

right, if in question replace them.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Like Jeff, I'm confused as to what "pitman arm" implies in this context. The pitman arm extends from the steering box to the center link and has no bushings or ball joints to wear out (the center link, however, has a bushing and can wear). The Idler arm trails the pitman arm and has a sleeved bushing that can wear out over a long time. Again, it's normally the center link that wears out first.

best, whit

How about those two little ones in the rear. Are those pitman arms or dog bones.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

you never can tell weather people are simply messing with us or are serious...especially when they dont check back for a long time to post an answer to our questions.

I'm assuming he is talking about that plate that holds the spare down tight in the well...isnt that the pitman arm anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Like Jeff, I'm confused as to what "pitman arm" implies in this context. The pitman arm extends from the steering box to the center link and has no bushings or ball joints to wear out (the center link, however, has a bushing and can wear). The Idler arm trails the pitman arm and has a sleeved bushing that can wear out over a long time. Again, it's normally the center link that wears out first.

best, whit
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Ted K
    How about those two little ones in the rear. Are those pitman arms or dog bones.
    My BMA bill lists those at pitman arms

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Pitman arms are the two support arms that connect the center link to the frame.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast