GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaky Brakes

Default Squeaky Brakes

Hi,

I replaced all 4 discs and pads with new about 6 weeks ago.
    Both front pads are squeaking and I also suspect the rears also, yet haven't confirmed this. If I apply more pressure on the pedal the squeal goes away. If I am light braking into a slow stop they are making an almost unbearable high pitch squeal.

The pads are pagid's and my bedding process was simply 300miles of 'light' braking.

Have I ****ed them? I suspect I have been too heavy footed whilst bedding, or not allowed enough time for the pads to cool down between braking?

Is there anything I can do apart from replace them?

Cheers
    Gary

Default They're Pagids, they squeal, period. The only thing you can do is

A. replace them with ceramic pads such as the raybestos QS
    B. Take them off , Clean all sliding surfaces on the calipers and back side of pads, coat the back side of pads with a antisqueal compound and lightly coat the areas that the pad slides on on the caliper with antiseize compound which is intended also as a squeal eliminator. Lubromoly lm508 antiseize is what i use on the areas that the pad slides on. metal to metal.
    This may or may not help, BG products also makes a squeal reducer that applies directly to the brake pad surface itself which is unusual , seems to work for a couple of months...
    C. replace them with ceramic pads such as the raybestos QS and forget about noise

Quote Originally Posted by GaryE
    Hi,

I replaced all 4 discs and pads with new about 6 weeks ago.
    Both front pads are squeaking and I also suspect the rears also, yet haven't confirmed this. If I apply more pressure on the pedal the squeal goes away. If I am light braking into a slow stop they are making an almost unbearable high pitch squeal.

The pads are pagid's and my bedding process was simply 300miles of 'light' braking.

Have I ****ed them? I suspect I have been too heavy footed whilst bedding, or not allowed enough time for the pads to cool down between braking?

Is there anything I can do apart from replace them?

Cheers
    Gary

Default love the QS pads

I love the Qs pads. No squeal. I need to replace rear pads with QS pads. The rears now produce more dust than the fronts LOL>
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

i have raybestos qs and my brakes squeal loud. my mechanic says it's because i have cross drilled rotors and there's nothing to do about it except replace the rotors.
    92 525iA

Default Edwin, are you sure your using Raybesto's QS, I thought you called up BMA and

they only had the pbr organics for about half as much as the raybesto's and you decided to go with them instead and i thought you used the ATE power rotors rather than crossdrilled rotors? The ATE rotors were also from bma.

Quote Originally Posted by nuwde
    i have raybestos qs and my brakes squeal loud. my mechanic says it's because i have cross drilled rotors and there's nothing to do about it except replace the rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    they only had the pbr organics for about half as much as the raybesto's and you decided to go with them instead and i thought you used the ATE power rotors rather than crossdrilled rotors? The ATE rotors were also from bma.
    Besides the obvious, I just figured out nuwde's nickname. It's his name (Edwin) spelled backwards and sustitute the u for the i. Everyone else probably knows this, but I can't help it when the lightbulb finally goes on.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

After I started listening to Bill, I've installed Raybestos QS on everything I can. Excellent results.

Last time I looked into it, Patrick didn't know what Raybestos QS fictions were....?!

best, whit

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    wtf, you have a really good memory. i think you're right. but my mechanic said my rotors are cross drilled???

well if that's the case, maybe i'll bring my car back and see if he can do anything about it.
    92 525iA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    Besides the obvious, I just figured out nuwde's nickname. It's his name (Edwin) spelled backwards and sustitute the u for the i. Everyone else probably knows this, but I can't help it when the lightbulb finally goes on.
    yes. i chose to spell it with a U because it sounds more like nude and one of my nicknames in hs was naked boy.
    92 525iA

Hey Edwin, all you have to do is look at the rotors and see if theres holes in them, holes=cross drilled.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast