GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Silver Polish

Default Silver Polish

The trim around my windows was very oxidized and milky looking (as most of yours probably are), so i tried some turtle wax fine and medium rubbing compound. This didnt do a whole lot and what little it did do took a whole lot of work. I began rifling through some cupboards and found some "Wrights Silver Cream" meant for tarnished silverware, i almost put it back but then i read the directions and noticed that it worked on other metals as well. I figured i may as well give it a try and it worked!!! I guess the aluminum trim is basically tarnished, perhaps some chemical in the silver cream gets rid of it because it works a lot better than polish.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    The trim around my windows was very oxidized and milky looking (as most of yours probably are), so i tried some turtle wax fine and medium rubbing compound. This didnt do a whole lot and what little it did do took a whole lot of work. I began rifling through some cupboards and found some "Wrights Silver Cream" meant for tarnished silverware, i almost put it back but then i read the directions and noticed that it worked on other metals as well. I figured i may as well give it a try and it worked!!! I guess the aluminum trim is basically tarnished, perhaps some chemical in the silver cream gets rid of it because it works a lot better than polish.
    Cool and I was about to spend $60.00 on that stuff that Shogun used with the dremel.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Mine now looks nearly as good as the picture shogun had, and i could probably make it look even better with more time. All i used was the cream and a rag.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Mine now looks nearly as good as the picture shogun had, and i could probably make it look even better with more time. All i used was the cream and a rag.
    So are you going to use something (wax?) to protect it now?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Great tip. The car we just sold (formerly hubby's) had tarnished chrome trim. I didn't know if this was a result of living near the ocean or numberous trips through car wash that was not touchless. The guy who bought it works in a store two blocks from us. I will pass that tip on to him. And maybe it will save Charlie from the same fate. I love fixes that are $ instead of $$$. Good on ya.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Will this work for the trim on the inside of the doors?
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine

Quote Originally Posted by 1995 525i
    Will this work for the trim on the inside of the doors?

That trim is plastic--fake chrome. It will clean up some but clean too vigorly and you will be seeing the plastic. I have been told that it is cheap to replace. From what I have read about taking doors apart, it sounds like you can take that off without taking the door apart. The quote I remember is "pry it up and just about the time you think it is going to break, it pops free." Have not tried this myself yet, but plan to.

If anyone else has replaced this, would appreciate helpful hints like part numbers and "be sure to....."
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    That trim is plastic--fake chrome. It will clean up some but clean too vigorly and you will be seeing the plastic. I have been told that it is cheap to replace. From what I have read about taking doors apart, it sounds like you can take that off without taking the door apart. The quote I remember is "pry it up and just about the time you think it is going to break, it pops free." Have not tried this myself yet, but plan to.

If anyone else has replaced this, would appreciate helpful hints like part numbers and "be sure to....."
    \I would love to replace all four of mine as they look like ****. I was at the stealer yesterday getting clips for my outside trim I took off to paint black. I forgot to ask how much the interior strips were. I did , however price out shadowline trim from the stealer and it was expensive. About $600. Yikes!
    Mustbr8kfree
    1995 525i, Shadowline,EAT chip, Alpine