GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: what notebook comp to buy???

Default OT: what notebook comp to buy???

im headed to the next level of education, and i need a notebook PC. i want a apple i-book, with a 14 inch display, and a super drive, when shopping around and checking reviwes it seems to be a good choice and value. apple to me seems to be a little bit like bmw, kinda a enthuiest computer or somthing like that.

thanks for the input

kyle+

IMO, mac is not an "enthusiast" computer at all, if any computer were it would be a pc because you can upgrade them just as you can your bmw. an apple might work great for you, but instead of upgrading for a few hundred dollars you can buy a new apple for a couple thousand. Also, if you are using a conventional PC now, you would have to get used to an apple computer and having a funnny mouse among other things.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    im headed to the next level of education, and i need a notebook PC. i want a apple i-book, with a 14 inch display, and a super drive, when shopping around and checking reviwes it seems to be a good choice and value. apple to me seems to be a little bit like bmw, kinda a enthuiest computer or somthing like that.

thanks for the input

kyle+
    If I were buying one, it 98% would not be an Apple, but that's just me.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20

thanks for the input

kyle+
    I cannot help with the computer, but are you aware that you sig pic is still not working?!

we are still seeing the red X
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Hopefullly this thread won't turn into the normal apple-vs-pc debate that most do.

First thing you need to think about is what it's going to be used for. Mainly word processing? graphics? etc. Then decide what to get. I'm personally a PC person for a lot of reasons. I build my own computers so I'm not real fond of paying the price for a mac just for that. I also us a LOT of different apps and work with a lot of hardware that I connect to my computers. Most of this won't work with a MAC, or at least won't work easily with one.

For graphics mac is a good choice. I don't think because of power like it used to be, but because of standards and your peer group. If everyone else is using a mac and you aren't it can make it difficult to work together.

If it were me, I'd get a new Dell. The price is great, they are a nice machine, and you can upgrade them later if you want reasonably. They also should do anything any teacher will ask you to do, and they come with a great warranty. I've had 4 Dell laptops, 3 Toshibas, and over 100 IBM's.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

apple overrates their hardware speeds a whole lot.. i mean, they ARE swtiching to intel structure aren't they? they're also insanly overpriced. the I-books look so cool though, i'd get one too but then i couldn't play any games on it, or use lots of other software i have.... and never upgrade/customize it. oh, and fooling with settings seems to be nearly impossible in the user-friendly mac world

I'm a graphic designer and I use both Macs and PCs every day.

My advice is the same as it would be if you were buying a car: Buy what you like. They all do the same thing, and a few seconds here or there are really just academic. Get the one you dig. You won't go wrong either way.

Default if you decide PC, i use Panasonic ToughBooks.........

strong, reliable, & a 3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty up front.
    the only thing we sell.
    my niece is a graphics designer using mac, she still uses a pc for other stuff.
    tim s.

I have an Apple PowerBook and a Dell pc. If i were to buy another laptop or computer it would be an Apple.

Laptop - Sony Vaio...just cause they are cool. Toshiba's usually are the cheapest around.

A desktop- build your own.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast