GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Transmission Fluid Dip Stick??

Default Transmission Fluid Dip Stick??

I just purchased a 1993 525i. I was checking the fluids before driving it home and be darned if I can find the transmission dip stick or tube! What am I missing? I have search the engine compartment with no results. I just turned a 325is that had it in plain view. HELP!

ain't got one, 91 was the last 525 with a tranny stick, theres a 17mm bolt on the left side of the rear tranny pan, warm the car up fully, like a 15-20 minute drive, have the car level and idleing in neutral, remove the bolt, if fluid runs out it's full, if not fill it till it's running out the hole
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default sometime after the start of production...

of MYear 1992 525i's, the dipstick was eliminated (my 9/91 has one)....you have to check through the fill plug. the e36, which has the same tranny, is the same procedure, which is outlined here

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default '93 525i....they don't have dipsticks..

Quote Originally Posted by shield17
    I just purchased a 1993 525i. I was checking the fluids before driving it home and be darned if I can find the transmission dip stick or tube! What am I missing? I have search the engine compartment with no results. I just turned a 325is that had it in plain view. HELP!
    Believe it, my friend.
    In BMW's infinite wisdom, they didn't install dipsticks on our auto. trannies.
    I have a '93 525i as well.

To "properly" check the level, according to Bentley, you must take it to the dealer so they can install pressure and temperature-checking devices to accurately access fluid level.
    Why couldn't they just install a dipstick????!!!!

I feel your pain, brother.

i've done the temp checking thing for the fluid, and have not noticed any real difference in fluid level over my way, i can check the fluid temp and a few other tranny things with a mt 2500 snapon scanner. a 20 minute drive does the trick for warmming the tranny up enough to get the fluid level up but not so hot you get scalded. as the tranny warms up less fluid stays up in the clutches and drains back to the pan faster
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I feel your pain too. So much so that I bought a used dipstick and tube from a 91 525 from BimmerSouth. When I performed the next tranny service, I carefully drilled out the tranny case. There is a cylinderical casting visible with the pan off where the dipstick goes on the left side. I can rest much better now.

JR
    92 525ia

Default Thanks Everyone!

Thanks to all that replied. Hard to beleive it. BMW goes above and beyond in most things. Well I guess I will pull the plug! Thanks again.

Unregistered Guest

Default Trannie fluid change?

I recently became a 95 525 M50 owner .
    Trying to care for the car , i did what i could but also couldnt find the trannie dipstick ...... On researching this issue I read that BMW doesnt recomend changing the transmission fluid ................ ever
    Is this true ??
    Is it also the same case for the differencial?
    thanks in advance

Default No, it is not true on the 525i's

The only E34 with the so-called "lifetime" fluid, and that still is wrong, is the 540i.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I recently became a 95 525 M50 owner .
    Trying to care for the car , i did what i could but also couldnt find the trannie dipstick ...... On researching this issue I read that BMW doesnt recomend changing the transmission fluid ................ ever
    Is this true ??
    Is it also the same case for the differencial?
    thanks in advance