GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing my car into the U.S.

Default Importing my car into the U.S.

I have basically decided to return to the U.S. in the next couple of years and I am thinking about taking my garage queen with me. I know what to do on this end (Japan:de-registering, shipping companies, etc.) but what about the U.S. side of things? I have read the DOT page(s) and the EPA pages. My car is on the list that CAN be imported(1994 540i). I will need to get a new speedo so that will read in miles and a couple of other things. But do I have to go through a registered importing company if it is just for me? I mean personal use, not to sell. I checked some on the list and they sound kind of expensive.

Does anybody have some personal experience with this? Any first-hand experience/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Default I did this a while back............

Quote Originally Posted by tbrown540
    I have basically decided to return to the U.S. in the next couple of years and I am thinking about taking my garage queen with me. I know what to do on this end (Japan:de-registering, shipping companies, etc.) but what about the U.S. side of things? I have read the DOT page(s) and the EPA pages. My car is on the list that CAN be imported(1994 540i). I will need to get a new speedo so that will read in miles and a couple of other things. But do I have to go through a registered importing company if it is just for me? I mean personal use, not to sell. I checked some on the list and they sound kind of expensive.

Does anybody have some personal experience with this? Any first-hand experience/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    I imported a non-US model Mercedes back in the eighties when everyone else was. I used an import/conversion company and they did the DOT conversion which consisted reinforced bumpers, door beams, DOT lights and lenses, speedometer, and seat belts. I also had to post a bond in case the car didn't conform after the work was done. The entire process, with shipping, cost about $2400 at that time. You could get an EPA waiver on emission requirements back then so that wasn't a problem. The requirement at that time was that you had to keep the car two years before selling it. If the car didn't pass the conversion process it would have to be re-exported to the country of orgin or sent to the crusher. I believe they've tightened up the import requirements since then so I'd check into real good before going through the hassle.

Paul

Here is a second hand story.

I just bought my 535 in Pennsylvania and brought it back to CA which has the strictist emmision standards in the country. My boss who thought I was totally nuts for doing this kept telling me this story to try to talk me out of buying my car. HIs former partner brought a mercedes in from europe in the early 90s and had to spend $3-4 (probably equivalent of $6-8k now) to get it where it would pass smog test and could get registered here.

If you are going to do this consider the state standards in addition to the national ones. Not trying to talk you out of this either. I love people who are bonded with their cars. Just another something to consider.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

i was considering this and did some research

if your car is 25 years or older just put it on a boat
    and u're all set

however if it is younger as is yours, you're kinda screwed...
    its gotten very VERY tough and very expensive...paper work
    is possible on your own, there are a few sites that give u some
    tips but from what i've gathered (mostly speaking with motorex)
    it'll cost you about 15,000 to import and convert a car using a
    specific company for the work....there are very few companies
    that do this and they kinda charge a lot....

=[

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    i was considering this and did some research

if your car is 25 years or older just put it on a boat
    and u're all set

however if it is younger as is yours, you're kinda screwed...
    its gotten very VERY tough and very expensive...paper work
    is possible on your own, there are a few sites that give u some
    tips but from what i've gathered (mostly speaking with motorex)
    it'll cost you about 15,000 to import and convert a car using a
    specific company for the work....there are very few companies
    that do this and they kinda charge a lot....

=[

Martin Did you bring this baby back and just not tell us?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12795
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

there is a website of a company that does nothing but import cars, and specifically Euro spec M5s. They have the entire process step by step. You need new Cats, headlights, various stickers, speedo, etc.

the pricey part is the cats, and the pricey part of the entire conversion is you can't do it yourself. the EPA only lets you in if a company they lisence to do the conversion does it. and there are only a handful of those companies.

I can';t seem to find the website at the moment

basicaly i think you're required by law to have someone specifically lisenced by the EPA do the work, and they're going to charge whatever they feel like.

Thank you for the responses. I've got some homework ahead of me. I found some good info at:http://www.bmwworld.com/bmw/importing.htm for anyone that might be considering the same nightmare.

this is an idea i considered for about 3 days....

put the car into storage in japan (or in my case europe)
    and after 25 years bring it stateside...

may have to replace some rubber....maybe some gaskets

but u'll have a hella nice condition car low miles, low import
    cost =]

of course this is a good idea with some a bit more rare than
    a 540 =] heheheh

Default Just out of curiosity are you going to use it to deliver mail?

Quote Originally Posted by tbrown540
    Thank you for the responses. I've got some homework ahead of me. I found some good info at:http://www.bmwworld.com/bmw/importing.htm for anyone that might be considering the same nightmare.

a farm vehicle, hmm....

Theres a lot more to it than I thought besides money. Did you figure how much it would cost?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast