GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at some "high perfomance tyres"

Default Looking at some "high perfomance tyres"

If I use track tyres when competing in the local competiton, they (BMW NSW drivers club) are going to put me up one division. I need some non-track tyres. You can see there requirments on page 2. http://www.bmwclubnsw.asn.au/downloa...0System%20.pdf

http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

Falken Azenis RT-615, is any board member here running these?. What do you think? they offer a 225/50/15 in the "4th quarter".

you wont get much high performance stuff in 15's
    especially no 15's with the load rating you will need.

you need bigger hoops Kriss
    originally by Rollingon20strong:
    hey thanks jeff for the info good LOOking out
    aka Dan and that cat ja ja ja takes care of my baby jaja

Kris, from the following text it says you can get 25mm wider tire, I dont see anything about the diameter of them. Maybe it is possible to stick a set of 17s on it and have an entire world of traction. I read through it twice and unless I missed something I didnt see any rules about the diameter, might be worth looking into if your after traction before you spend a bunch of money on 15 inch sponges.

Wheel size increase – with a maximum of 25mm track increase.
    • Standard Road Tyres – excludes Racing Slicks and Tyres defined below
    as 'Track Tyres'.
    Cars fitted with tyres marked ‘For Racing Purposes Only’, or 'Not For
    Highway Use' will compete in Class R.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Kris, I run the Azenis sport RT215 on my e30 auto-x car. I love these tires and everyone else I've spoke with does too. The 615 is the new generation of the tire. At the last auto-x there were 2 people running the 615 but both had never ran the 215 so they couldn't give me a comparison. I'll be changing out to the 615 for next season.

The tire is really designed for auto-x. I have read complaints that they get a little slick when used on the track because they aren't designed for longer heat cycles, but I've also read people's reviews that use them during track days and love them.

They do have one of the stiffest sidewalls you can get in any tire which in turn makes them a little heavier too.

My overall opinion is that for the money these things are hard to beat. If you have to use a street tire then I would buy them.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

thanks for that Brodee. and the normal 60 profile, going down to a 50 profile, besides the speedometer being off, and a harsher ride (stiffer side wall thickness), it is okay to run a 50 profile, on the 15x7 stock rims?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    thanks for that Brodee. and the normal 60 profile, going down to a 50 profile, besides the speedometer being off, and a harsher ride (stiffer side wall thickness), it is okay to run a 50 profile, on the 15x7 stock rims?
    I run the 205/50-15 on my 15x7 K1 wheels. When I switch to the RT-615's I'm going to go up to the 225, they didn't offer that in the RT-215. This is all on my e30 though which is a lighter car, but they should work for you too.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    I run the 205/50-15 on my 15x7 K1 wheels. When I switch to the RT-615's I'm going to go up to the 225, they didn't offer that in the RT-215. This is all on my e30 though which is a lighter car, but they should work for you too.
    thanks mate. i'll have to look for some disturbitors in australia. How much are they in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    thanks mate. i'll have to look for some disturbitors in australia. How much are they in the USA?
    Vulcantire is the cheapest prices I've seen. I used them to get a local place to price match and got mine for around $70/tire. I know the only complaint I've heard on the RT-615 is that the price went up. I think they are closer to $90.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2005 GMC HD Crew

You might want to try Yoko Advan Neova AD07. The EVO 5,6,7,8 guys swear by it on the track. It is streetable tires. I have not used it before as it cost 40% more than BridgeStone G3s which I think is plenty good for me.

The Neova is dangerous in the rain, so need to watch wet-weather driving.

I've also heard that the Falkon Azenis are not a good track tire.

Kris - I think you need to call someone who specializes in tires. You're going to want a tire that can handle a couple things. First, the UTQG has to be greater than 140 per your rulebook (which ruled out my intended suggestion of Kuhmo Victoracers which have a UTQG of 50).

You also will need a particularly stiff tire that can handle the weight of the 535.

Then, you need a tire that it suitable for track use, not auto-x use. That means a tire that works well with heat. Heats up nicely but doesn't get greasy. That's the reported knock on the Falkon's. You may need to get any tire you buy shaved and maybe even heat cycled so it won't chunk on you.

I'm not sure what tire fits all these criteria. One to check might be the Michelin Pilot Sport. (Not the Cup tire as the UTQC is too low I believe.) I'm sure there must be others as well. More than anything, you want to get the right tires...

BTW - I didn't read anything in the rules that suggests you can't go to a +1 or +2 setup. You just can't go wider than stock by 25mm. But I'd call someone to double check that before you sink a load of cash into tires and rims.

Good luck - let us know what you settle on.
    Last edited by Jeff N.; 09-04-2005 at 09:28 PM.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast