GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Problem

Default Small Problem

My passenger side door lock unlocks but does not lock. I tried the resynch procedure as described by the owners manual but to no avail. When i unlock the drivers door to get in, the passenger side door unlocks like it is supposed to, but when i get out and lock the drivers door, all the other doors lock except the passenger side. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Edit: Front passenger is the lock in question.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

most likely the wires going to the lock unit are a bit loose or corroded, clean them and use stabilent 22 or similar and you should be good to go.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ill try it, but the door does reliably unlock, and it "trys" to lock. When i lock the drivers door the lock jerks like its trying to lock but it doesnt get all the way...maybe i should try some lubrication and check the wires while i have the panel off. Thanks 632 regal!
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

The older style actuators have oblong mounting holes in the door frame (like the front swaybar/swaybar link point). If the actuator is too close to the door jamb, it will lock the door and not be able to unlock it (then the door panel has to come off inside the car...or you have to do winfred's procedure of removing the door handle from the outside of the car...pain in the ass). If the actuator is too far away from the jamb, it will unlock but not lock the car. Incompetence during reinstallation or time can cause the problem.

Good luck!

best, whit

OK, i know what you are talking about from when i fixed the drivers side lock, ill se what i can do. ty for help.
    southwest WA

Alex, the quick and dirty way to diagnose the actuator is to pull it out and perform a few lock/unlock operations and see what it does. It will do its thing without being connected to the lock rod, as you probably know.

best, whit

Just as you said, the actuator was as far away from the jamb as the hols wold allow. I moved it to the middle of the mounting holes. This made the problem even worse, now it wont lock even manually (like it did before). Ill take a picture.
    southwest WA

southwest WA

I think its seized. It may have been only partly seized before. Time for a new one i guess.
    southwest WA

I can get it to lock with the key from the passenger door if i turn the key all the way counter clockwise. If i turn it just enough to lock the other doors it wont lock. Sorry for so many posts...im just a bit frustrated.
    southwest WA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast