GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro :New to Bimmers not to Beemers though

Default Intro :New to Bimmers not to Beemers though

Greetings ! Great forum you have here !
    Got a lot of much needed info already through the search function.
    I am really enjoying my 1st Bimmer.
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.. It is the metallic biege with sunroof.
    (I have had many of the the 2 wheeled ones. My current ride is a '87 K100RS MotorSport.)
    It has the Pioneer Super tuner III W/remote and a Pionneer disc changer in trunk (was this OE for this car ?)
    The quality of this car at 156K is amazing ,it drives and handles like a new car. No rattles, squeaks or slop in the handling. Just a rock solid car. and everything works. $2800 sounded like a fair price to pay.
    I am thrilled with this car !
    The PO was a US military guy, who picked it up new in Germany and had it sent back home with him. He always had it properly serviced. So it was takin well care of.
    It was sold to another family member a couple years before i bought it. So it did not receive quite the level of attention the 1st owner gave it.
    It did get all new brakes and rotors, new Cat and O2 sensor and tune-up with all new filters (minus the cabin filter) before i bought it.

Things that need attention now is a new muffler. If i cannot find a good used one through a local wrecker.
    (We have many in my area. I live half way between Sacramento and San Francisco, CA)
    I was going to see about getting a 70 series Flowmaster (quieter one) or a Magnaflow to replace currrent one.
    I am also open to any recommendations on the exhaust . This needs to be done soon. Has a VERY annoying exhaust note as it is. And I'm on a budget. ( I know, if you need to ask, you can't afford it.
    I have other hobbies too. I cannot sink all my funds into just one

I also need to repair the AC . I'll just convert it to R134, since it has the correct compressor.
    I pressurized the system an found leaking Orings. Receiver driers are cheap on eBay. I will flush system and replace all the O-rings on all the fittings.

I need to flush the PS fluid and coolant with fresh as well.
    And put synthetic lube in the Diff. and trans.

One thing i wanted to ask the group. I am doing an oil change next weekend.
    I have a case of 5 quart jugs, of the old the old red cap Mobil-1 15-50.
    Do you guys think i sould use this oil , or go with Dino oil ?
    The car has no leaks ,and I'd like to keep it that way.
    From looking at the car's records for the last 4-5 oil changes, they have been using Castrol GTX. The guys who did the services are from a very respected independant Euro-car repair shop.
    I was wondering if there was a reason for this.
    I would hate to have to car spring a leak with the slippery stuff.

Anyway, I'm sure to have more questions.

Thanks much, and happy motoring !!

Chris
    N.California
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Congratulations chris, im "new to bimmers" too. I got mine on wednesday.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Welcome!

"It has the Pioneer Super tuner III W/remote and a Pionneer disc changer in trunk (was this OE for this car ?)"

No this aftermarket headunit was installed by one of the previous owners.

On the oil question, you'll probably get different opinions on this forum, but I'm converting mine from dino to Mobil 1 15w50. If you've got that much of it around, you might as well use it IMHO.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

go with the M1 0w-40, it's specifications make it better than any factory recommendations and works from +120F degree weather to -30 degree weather. Pumps in cold and in hot without accelerated wear or failure. If you get leaks you need new gaskets...hands down

Make sure you use the correct fluids in the trans and PS unit, making a mistake here could might not matter but also the luck of the draw and cause a very expensive wrenching session. Do not use any fancy spark plugs, the stock Bosch or whatever are great.

Drain the steering fluid, start the car and turn the steering wheel a couple times to drain residual, this will speed up the flushing process.

It is also a maintenance procedure to flush the brake fluid, antifreeze, replace the waterpump, thermostat and hoses...maintenance items, not replace as needed. Document what you do for referance.

When you do the AC dont uncap the drier until you are ready to plug it in as any atmosphere will contaminate it, thats a last minute before the vacuum procedure, then get it charged.

Good luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    go with the M1 0w-40, it's specifications make it better than any factory recommendations and works from +120F degree weather to -30 degree weather. Pumps in cold and in hot without accelerated wear or failure. If you get leaks you need new gaskets...hands down

Make sure you use the correct fluids in the trans and PS unit, making a mistake here could might not matter but also the luck of the draw and cause a very expensive wrenching session. Do not use any fancy spark plugs, the stock Bosch or whatever are great.

Drain the steering fluid, start the car and turn the steering wheel a couple times to drain residual, this will speed up the flushing process.

It is also a maintenance procedure to flush the brake fluid, antifreeze, replace the waterpump, thermostat and hoses...maintenance items, not replace as needed. Document what you do for referance.

When you do the AC dont uncap the drier until you are ready to plug it in as any atmosphere will contaminate it, thats a last minute before the vacuum procedure, then get it charged.

Good luck!
    The M-1 oil web site Rec'd a 10-40 Wt. The owners manual does say 20-50 Wt. is OK to use. Where i live it rarely gets to freezing temps.
    I think I'll just go with the M-1 15-50 redcap I have on hand.
    I think the last owner was just being cheap on the LOF's....hence the Castrol GTX oil being used.
    Got a couple STP oil filters from AutoZone, $3.99 on sale. They look well made and come with all the O rings and crush seals.

What is the correct PS fluid ?
    I thought the '91 525i manual Trans & Diff. used standard GL-4 or 5 gear oils.
    If not which lube is correct ? How about a 75-140 Wt synthetic ?
    I never did like platnum plugs. Car just had Bosch Supers installed recently.
    (I am looking for a new or like new Bentley manual)

Can you just remove the return line from pump, and keep adding fluid till system is flushed ?
    I have not looked at it close enough to see if this is possible yet.

Noted ! Thanks !

Yep, don't want to foul up a fresh A/C drier.

Thanks !!
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

Default Original was probably ripped off

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    Welcome!

"It has the Pioneer Super tuner III W/remote and a Pionneer disc changer in trunk (was this OE for this car ?)"

No this aftermarket headunit was installed by one of the previous owners.

On the oil question, you'll probably get different opinions on this forum, but I'm converting mine from dino to Mobil 1 15w50. If you've got that much of it around, you might as well use it IMHO.
    Thanks for the welcome !!
    The Sacramento area was just listed as the car thief capitol of the US.
    Probably applies to car break-in's too....
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

Default Thanks Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Congratulations chris, im "new to bimmers" too. I got mine on wednesday.
    Looks like you got a nice one too.
    A car with about 5K a year driven.
    If my 156K BMW rides nice.Your 'low' mileage one must be real sweet !!
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris'91'525i
    The M-1 oil web site Rec'd a 10-40 Wt. The owners manual does say 20-50 Wt. is OK to use. Where i live it rarely gets to freezing temps.
    I think I'll just go with the M-1 15-50 redcap I have on hand.
    I think the last owner was just being cheap on the LOF's....hence the Castrol GTX oil being used.
    Got a couple STP oil filters from AutoZone, $3.99 on sale. They look well made and come with all the O rings and crush seals.

What is the correct PS fluid ?
    I thought the '91 525i manual Trans & Diff. used standard GL-4 or 5 gear oils.
    If not which lube is correct ? How about a 75-140 Wt synthetic ?
    I never did like platnum plugs. Car just had Bosch Supers installed recently.
    (I am looking for a new or like new Bentley manual)

Can you just remove the return line from pump, and keep adding fluid till system is flushed ?
    I have not looked at it close enough to see if this is possible yet.

Noted ! Thanks !

Yep, don't want to foul up a fresh A/C drier.

Thanks !!
    Chris....

BMW High Performance Synthetic is purported to simply be Castrol GTX, only at $4.12 +/- some change / quart. The stuff works well; on the other hand -- I'll always recommend using the OEM Mahle or Mann oil filters. STP, fram and the like 1) occasionally don't fit, 2) are poorly made by sweatshops to begin with. Call BMA, talk to Patrick (http://www.bmaparts.com), mention .info and get the forum discount.

But trust me on the oil filters...they're on sale for a reason.

PS is probably ATF. Check the cap on the reservoir, there's usually a sticker there. Occasionally, it'll rub away with time or a healthy fluid spill.

Diff fluid depends on what's in the car. I don't know what comes stock on the manual M50 525s, probably a 3.46, 3.23 or something like that. I'm a big fan of Redline 75w90 w/LSD additive. Royal Purple or Amsoil are also good and considerably less expensive.

It'd be a mess to flush the power steering with the engine running. Do a search on the procedure, I've outlined it a few times in the past month or so.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Chris....

BMW High Performance Synthetic is purported to simply be Castrol GTX, only at $4.12 +/- some change / quart. The stuff works well; on the other hand -- I'll always recommend using the OEM Mahle or Mann oil filters. STP, fram and the like 1) occasionally don't fit, 2) are poorly made by sweatshops to begin with. Call BMA, talk to Patrick (http://www.bmaparts.com), mention .info and get the forum discount.

But trust me on the oil filters...they're on sale for a reason.

PS is probably ATF. Check the cap on the reservoir, there's usually a sticker there. Occasionally, it'll rub away with time or a healthy fluid spill.

Diff fluid depends on what's in the car. I don't know what comes stock on the manual M50 525s, probably a 3.46, 3.23 or something like that. I'm a big fan of Redline 75w90 w/LSD additive. Royal Purple or Amsoil are also good and considerably less expensive.

It'd be a mess to flush the power steering with the engine running. Do a search on the procedure, I've outlined it a few times in the past month or so.

best, whit
    Whit,
    Thanks for the heads up on the oil filters and discount info.
    Much appreciated.
    There are a lot of critical dimentions on these filters. I could see how they might not fit well.
    Will definately look for the ones you mentioned.

BMW sells Castrol GTX dino oil labeled as synthetic oil ? Thats not to cool !
    Castrol GTX has always been good to me, and IMO is one of the best oils.
    I may as well go to the M-1 15-50 i have on hand though.

Differant ratio Diffs use specific weight gear oils ? I thought as long as it's rated for a GL-4 or 5, you can use whatever you want for driving conditions.

Thanks again,

Chris
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris'91'525i
    Whit,
    Thanks for the heads up on the oil filters and discount info.
    Much appreciated.
    There are a lot of critical dimentions on these filters. I could see how they might not fit well.
    Will definately look for the ones you mentioned.

BMW sells Castrol GTX dino oil labeled as synthetic oil ? Thats not to cool !
    Castrol GTX has always been good to me, and IMO is one of the best oils.
    I may as well go to the M-1 15-50 i have on hand though.

Differant ratio Diffs use specific weight gear oils ? I thought as long as it's rated for a GL-4 or 5, you can use whatever you want for driving conditions.

Thanks again,

Chris

Sure thing, welcome to the club, btw

I always thought GTX was Castrol's synthetic nomer? Either way, I'm not versed in Castrol's product line...but we were talking about it one day at work and it was suggested as such. BMW has had "deals" with Castrol over the years. My experiences with the stuff (BMW HPS) have been good; it gunks up after 6 or 7k -- I have a PDF that I've been meaning to post of a booklet that sits on our counter containing a bunch of horror-story pictures from engines that followed BMW's scheduled maintenance spec (jello slabs of sludge....ergh!) Mobil 1 is great stuff, too. I've used it a bit with excellent results and would use it if I were in your shoes.

Back in my "fix it inexpensively"/cheap dingo days, I bought the autozone rated STP filter for my car and discovered that they'd sold me a screw on type (M20) versus a canister filter. After that, I did a bit of research and learned a few things about the cheap(er) filters. The M50 STP one may fit (who knows until you try, right?), but I can practically guarantee that the OEM ones are of considerable better quality -- so much better that it's worth the dinero.

You're absolutely on point with the diff oil vs gear ratio spec -- doesn't matter unless its an LSD...I was just thinking and typing at the same time. I think all of the ones I mentioned meet GL5.

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast