GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falken tires: to buy or not to buy?

Default Falken tires: to buy or not to buy?

Sorry for the double post, but I need as much advice as I can get by tomorrow.

If you have any thoughts or experiences with Falken tires (particularly the ZE-512) please post here:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...9732#post89732

Default I got the 235/45 R17 ZIEX 512's...

with about 8K miles on them and have been pretty happy--good dry grip, decent wet traction, relatively low noise (noise is not much of an issue for me,) nice tread patternand. Also, here are other yakchips about this tire I posted...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...+ZIEX+512+tire

Recently, Falken introduced the new ZE-329 in the states. Here are some quotes from a tire expert or someone who is probably connected to Falken tire marketing. I've noticed this tire has a similar tread pattern than Sumitomo's HTR+. Go figure, Falken is owned by Sumitomo anyhow...

***That being said, the ZE-329 has turned up better stats over the ZE-512. The ZE-512 began its legacy as a "long-lasting" "high performance" all season tyre. In actuality, it is quite a nice tyre but it should not be marketed as long-lasting - it is not.

The ZE-329 has a superior silica-based tread compound that allows for longer life without sacrificing traction in weather and extends the "sweetness" of the rubber as the tyre ages maintaining traction levels.

The ZE-329 also has other subtle difference such as Falken's pattented rotation-divots (holes in the tread - can be seen in the picture above) which allow you to see when the tyre should be rotated as well as be able to see how the inside/outside wear is comparing.

The ZE-329 is also a non-directional tyre which makes it a more practical tyre. The ZE-512 can not be cross-rotated so you can not even out the wear by switching sides as you rotate.

If given the choice, the ZE-329 is the superior of the two tyres. It's too bad you will likely NOT be able to get them at MOST Falken dealers in North America.***

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo

If you have any thoughts or experiences with Falken tires (particularly the ZE-512) please post here:

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo

Jay...i have the Falken ziex 225/50/16...i have no problem with...have it for the last 6k...it still runs good...need to rotate it soon but it still doesn't show any irregular wear.

i had mine for almost 15k, i would definetly buy them again!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, British Columbia

I bough a set of the Falken 512's last year from www.tiretrends.com, after a couple of days I realized I had a real problem with flatspotting (the temp was around 32F) and I thought they were fairly noisy. I called Tiretrends and got my money credited to a set of Yokohama AVSdb S2...they were $40 bucks more per tire, but I think they are great. No more flatspotting, went up a speed rating, and they are so quiiiiieeeeetttt.

Cheers,

Wow, terrific posts. Thanks everyone.

Regal, are you saying the tires only lasted 15k miles?

Bailydog, yeah, I've been checking out that Yoke and it looks awesome, but I think they're quite a bit more money. I could stretch to them, but I don't know if it's worth it. Your complaint sounds uncommon.

the flatspotting is normal for the first few months you have them from the fresh rubber compound (newer silicon or something bases polymer) that goes away as I was concerned also. Other than that the tires didnt require much weight to balance them at all and have held the balance since I have owned them. I would still recommend them time after time.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    the flatspotting is normal for the first few months you have them from the fresh rubber compound (newer silicon or something bases polymer) that goes away as I was concerned also. Other than that the tires didnt require much weight to balance them at all and have held the balance since I have owned them. I would still recommend them time after time.
    Flatspotting sounds really odd to me unless you're driving like a dufus (I'm not suggesting anything, Regal ).

What causes it? How many miles does it take to sort itself out?

I have the 512's on my sedan and they are working great for me. I run the Falken Azenis sports on my e30 and love them so I thought I'd try Falkens on the sedan. I'd buy them again.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

I have the Falken st115's. They seem fine and ride pretty soft/quiet. I am getting a small sign of feathering on the outer edge- I need an alignment STAT!

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast