GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pondering going from e28 to e34. Please advise!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pondering going from e28 to e34. Please advise!

Good morning, folks!

My e28 535i has about 350,000 miles on it, and although I still love to drive it, it's bordering on unreliable. During the winter months, things are okay - not having A/C isn't a big liability for half the year, and it doesn't threaten to overheat when the temps are under 90 degrees out. I'd like to have a reliable car for a while so I can stay clean for a few weekends in a row.

My requirements for a car are as follows: Should have a big, torquey engine and a manual transmission, I need four doors, 22-25mpg, great handling characteristics, and reliable A/C for the Texas summer sun. I don't need to freeze meat in the passenger compartment, but I'm tired of having a summer heat rash. All that, and I'd like to stay under $10k.

The e34 540 seems like an ideal choice. I've had an e34 535i before, and although it was a very solid car, it wasn't as much fun to drive as my e28. It seemed more isolated from the driving experience, if you know what I mean. I'm hoping that the 540 would be powerful enough to overcome any possible negative aspects that the added weight would impose.

So what do y'all think? I could buy an e34, or buy another e28 with lower mileage than my current example, or I could get something entirely different. Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks,

Scott

Having owned 2 E28s and an E34 I would have to say that I definitely prefer the E34. I agree with you that the E34 feels a bit more isolated than the E28, but the overall increase in refinement more than makes up for it. I would think that a 540 would be a very good fit for your needs, however, I don't know that you'll be getting 22-25mpg out of it.
    Qball

Scott:

I have a 91 535i and 94 530i. They are two completely different vehicles handling wise due to having Eibach springs and Bilstein sports on 535i versus the disconnected feeling I get in 530 with stock set up. Was the E34 535i you drove standard..if not you'll appreciate performance of manual. Also I did convert my 91 535 to R134 changing compressor (which was locked up) condensor, evap and dryer. All BMW parts and it blows soooo cold. And finally I live in swampy Houston!....

If you can find a lower mileage [less than 200K (-: ] 535i 5spd in 10K range buy it....you'll be very pleased you did. Mines past 250K and running strong.

I am selling wifes 94 530i 5spd though if your interested....

Callen

Oh bought 20 MPG around town in 535 and 21 in 530.

having owned a 93 540i for two yers now i can honestly say its the most brilliant car ive ever had. if your gonna tromp it it u wont get the mileage u want but be gentle with it and youll be ok. power, there is heaps, never short of it. not ever had a recent beema so cant help u with comparison however i would imagine that if i had the chance i would certainly like to drive the the 6 speed manual for a day to see the differance. 230,000kms not any major probs. cant understand why folks buy anything smaller than the 3.0 in this series. hope tat helps in anyway, good luck!