GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 540i Engine Mounts 1hour!

Default 540i Engine Mounts 1hour!

After reading up on available reports and info on bmwe34.net i was dreading the big day. removing alternator, moving heaps of other stuff etc.So i went to my father in law who is a good old fashioned mechanic with 50 years experience and heaps of toys in his garage, put it up on the ramp and away i went. There is only one way to do this and thats to get under it. u dont need to remove all the stuff as suggested. Forget extensions and going at it from the top.You need only fashion a special tool which is a 17mm flat ring spanner. have it just 3 inches long. round the head off so the ring end is just 2-3mm thick and youll have access to all the top mount bolts from under the car. pics to come when i work out how to put them on, youll see what i mean. this is the first time ive taken pics and uploaded em so forgive the quallity.

they are all here.
    http://img36.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=ag280294gm.jpg
    Last edited by mattyb; 08-29-2005 at 02:56 AM.

Default Very interested in procedure

I've heard that swapping the mounts was a bear. Haven't had to do it yet, though. Did you replace all?

Dude thats awesome! On the 3 inch wrench, how do you get enough leverage to get the nuts loose/tight?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

im just about to put the pics up. itll have some procedure ,its easy, as for leverage once u have the 17mm special tool on the left mount, use a small bar, about 10 inches long and 10mm by 3mm thick. it had a notch in the end which locked over the spanner. arm. i then got a hammer and belted it to crack the nut. with tightening i could just get my hand in enough to tighten, then hit it from the back. there are pics of tools. there is no way id pay the stealer what he wanted to do this job. it aint hard.
    Last edited by mattyb; 08-29-2005 at 01:13 AM.

yep.did both at the same time. im new at putting pics up and theyre not that good but you will get the idea.

Default hmm...

from your report is there a chance you drink a bit of alcohol like the 90% of the rest of us?

LMAO

I re read what I type the next day...hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    im just about to put the pics up. itll have some procedure its easy as so dont stress about it. as for leverage once u have the 17mm special tool on the left mount i used a small bar, about 10 inches lond and 10mm by 3mm thick. it had a notch in the end which went over the spanner. i then got a hammer and belted it to crack the nut. with tightening i could just get my hand in enough to tighten the hit it from the back. there are pucs of tools. there is no wat id pay the stealer what he wanted to do this job. it aint hard.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

yep! i fix it now. these pics have got me stuffed though

Default I think

you can only post 3 pictures in a reply, you have the space to host a page with the pics?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    yep! i fix it now. these pics have got me stuffed though
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

1.have beer first to have a think about it!
    2.put car up on ramp and open bonnet.loosen the 10mm bolts on each side of expansion tank so not to crush it when raising engine, itll go uo and back when raised.
    3.get under car and prepare jack. i had a piece of steel to go across the ramp. postioned jack under front of sump and placed a piece of timber against the sump.jack up and take a bit of the weight to check jack.
    4.chock rear wheels and assemble tools. 1x12mm open/ring combo.1x13mmopen/ring combo. 17mmsocket,13mm socket,ratchet,10mm socket.6mm socket.make 17mm ring special tool.piece of bar about 10inch long with a notch in the end to fit 17mm special spanner.
    5.remove skid trays with 10mm socket or spanner, take both off.
    6. on the left side remove the airduct which goes to the alternator. it joins halfway along with a 6mm head on it. while ur there have a look up the duct to the alternator, mine was full of **** like leaves etc.
    7.on the right side there is an earth on the mount bracket.its gotta come off or youll not get the swing on the 17mm. the earth is 12mm on top and 13 on bottom. its positioned upside down. loosen the top nut and fold earth lead out of the way. lift with jack and the bolt will fall out of the hole.
    8.now this special spanner. 17mm flat ring spanner. go to a cheap shop and buy a set for $2. cut the 17mm down to 3inch from the ring end. grind the outside of the ring section so its thin and smooth.if u cant do it yourself take it to a garage etc and theyll do it for $5.
    9. take the 17mm ring and have a feel around the mount braket at the top and youll find the bolt.it takes a bit but once your familiar with it yull be right.it pulls toward u but it shouldnt take to much.you get enough turns on it to take a minute or so.dont raise the car or youll make it harder.theres a washer up there to so keep an eye out for it.
    10.with the 13mm socket and the 17mm socket go to the underside of the mount and take off the bottom nuts.
    11. now the left side.get your hands up there first to feel ur way around it, bit like a woman.it feels imposible but youll see the special spanner will fit ok.get it in there and then get the bar with notch in end.position this at right angles to the spanner, lock it on and give it a whack with a decent hammer. this should crack it. i had 2 people on this so i could hold the spanner onto the nut with my fingertips. dont go beserk with it as theres about 3inches to play with before u break other ****. it winds off pretty easy after that.
    12. then same underneath with 13 and 17 mm sockets.lift car with jack, take caution, i had leo up top watching the expansion tank clearance and the fan over the radiator shroud. as we moved the engine up the fan should just clear the shroud. if it doesnt just turn it and help it a little bit. the action of jacking up on the angle helps it to clear.
    13. ok so mounts come free and out they come.remember that with rubbers they are always smaller,being older than new going in. mounts are particular to each side. jack up a bit more and ready for new ones.
    14.doesnt matter what side first. we put the left in first and started the top nut first. being up a bit meant we could hold the nut and screw the mount around to do it up. that way ur not cursing having to do it up with the tool, just have to tighten later. then the right with care to put the earth nut in first before the mount.
    15.make sure mounts are positioned for re entry and lower the car gently. taking care of the position of the fan and shroud.down it goes and secure the 13 and 17mm bottom nuts. tighten top nuts- put the 17mm special up there and use a big bar to lever the spanner tight. brace it off the crossmember, easy with 2 people so one can hold the top of the spanner onto the nut. earth lead back on. air duct back on. expansion tank back on. skid plates back on.
    16. look at old mounts and feel embaressed about how long it took me to do this. drink beer and hail leo, the master special tool maker.wonder what i was freaking about going into this and busting to get it on here so u guys vould have a look.

You need a new camera! So blurry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast