GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine Light & 35+ MPG ???

Default Check Engine Light & 35+ MPG ???

Hello everyone! My Check Engine light has been going on and off quite frequently (every few minutes or so) on my '91 525i. I have tried the stomp test and I cannot get it to work. I have owned the car coming on 2 years in a couple of weeks and have never had the Check Engine light come on before.

There is also another weird phenomena... From around the time that the light started coming on (about a week and a half to two weeks ago) I have been consistently getting somewhere between 30 and 40 mpg while cruising the highway, at speeds from 40-60 mph. It is almost unreal, and the car has been abnormally smooth. I don't know what is going on, but I would like to know before it suddenly explodes on me. I just started using oil for high mileage cars (I am at 102,000) and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Please help me!

Thanks a lot...
    Andy

wow...sounds like a cool problem to have!

The stomp test is hard to get right, first time I tried it took like a dozen times with an overnight break before I tried again and finally got it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    wow...sounds like a cool problem to have!

The stomp test is hard to get right, first time I tried it took like a dozen times with an overnight break before I tried again and finally got it.

I will go back and try again. Thanks!

its like the first time you have to remove the rear seat...pull and pull and think that people were messing with you when they told you thats what you have to do.

You pretty much need a code if you dont have any symptoms. You could also try to reboot the computer andsee if the light goes away, this has worked a bunch of times.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Stomp Codes aggravation

I often have trouble getting the stomp codes to display. Sometimes I have to try it four or five times. I've found that it seems to help if you have the fan in the off position when you turn the key as well as having any other electronic devices switched off. I've also had better luck not pressing the pedal down too quickly and making sure that I feel the click of the downshift button on each press.
    '95 525it 88k

I GOT IT!!! I think a note needs to be made saying that the 5 stomps need to be done within 5 seconds of the key being turned. When I was trying it for the second round it kind of clicked in my little head that maybe the 'within 5 seconds' meant not 5 seconds within the start of the stomping, but the turn of the key... : )

Anyway, the code was 1221, and it kept looping. It did not stop like the instructions said. As far as I gather it is the first oxygen sensor. Should I replace it? Look at it? Leave it? And where is it? (is it right after the filter box in the front?)

I thank both of you for your help thusfar... And I never could get those rear seats up. Maybe I should try that again too (any suggestions?).

Thanks again,
    Andy

pull hard and dont drop your sack to the floor.

I would reboot the computer first and see if the code goes away before messing with the sensor. Almost anything can trigger a false O2 code, if it returns after a reboot then look closely for vacumm leaks and as a final resort change the sensor out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

This was a favorite prank in my circle of friends when I was in college. Every so often an extra two gallons (any more and you might notice it on the gas gauge) was slipped into the target's car's tank. Then you sit back and wait for him to start raving about the great mileage his car was getting. Of course, in those days a gallon of gas was a bit less expensive. So do you have any comfortably well-off friends given to practical jokes?

"And I never could get those rear seats up. Maybe I should try that again too (any suggestions?)."

I like to get the back seat out one side at a time. It's usually real hard the first time you do it if it hasn't been done in a long time. Get in the back and get both hands on the bottom lip and pull straight up a good jerk. Once that side has loosened, do the other side.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2
    This was a favorite prank in my circle of friends when I was in college. Every so often an extra two gallons (any more and you might notice it on the gas gauge) was slipped into the target's car's tank. Then you sit back and wait for him to start raving about the great mileage his car was getting. Of course, in those days a gallon of gas was a bit less expensive. So do you have any comfortably well-off friends given to practical jokes?
    That prank wouldn't work in these cars with the OBC, which gives you a digital reading of your MPG.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast