GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transmission help!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default transmission help!!!

i have a 90 e34 with a m20, and when i am going 45mph or so the trans can not decide if it want to be in 3rd or 4th? it just keep shifting 3-4-3-4.... espcially when going up hill could someone please help me and let me know what is wrong with it? before some shop or dealer rip me off!!! thanks.

try searching the forum for 'pendulum shifting', sounds like that could be your problem

Quote Originally Posted by 555
    i have a 90 e34 with a m20, and when i am going 45mph or so the trans can not decide if it want to be in 3rd or 4th? it just keep shifting 3-4-3-4.... espcially when going up hill could someone please help me and let me know what is wrong with it? before some shop or dealer rip me off!!! thanks.
    On those things, all you can do is assure that the kickdown cable is accurately adjusted and that the fluid level is correct (and that the fluid itself isn't indicative of a dead trans). Beyond that, it's a valve body issue.

best, whit

thanks for the info. i have check those items and they seem to be find, so i told it to bmw dealer and they said i need to replace the trans could that be true? they want $3500 for the job. that's a bit much for me. so i'm thinking to track down a use or rebuild trans. does anyone know which model trans would fit my car? that's beside a 90' 525i with an m20 eng!

Default could be a throttle position sensor............

my 540i/a did that a couple of times. i replaced the switch & it has not done it since. there is a way to test the switch with a multi-meter, but i had my mech. do it.
    tim s.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s
    my 540i/a did that a couple of times. i replaced the switch & it has not done it since. there is a way to test the switch with a multi-meter, but i had my mech. do it.
    tim s.
    Tim, unlike the 5hp-30 in your car, the M20 525s have a non electrically controlled 4hp-22. The only interaction between the engine and transmission, beyond power transmission and the motronic flywheel position sensors mounted in the bellhousing, is a kickdown cable.

A faulty TPS is a good thought, though. A dirty throttle body could also confuse it.

best, whit

The BMW ZF Remanufactured Trans (Valueline) for your car costs the dealer a little less than $1300 and they'll retail it for $1995 or more. Labor rate on the trans job is something like 6 hours according to the pricing software, and dealers really stick it to the customer for it at around $150/hour. Price gouging and inflated labor rates are how the dealer makes money and one of a few reasons why you don't want to take the car to be serviced at one.

The critical reason is their uncanny ability to mess up and overlook everything -- they executed three errors (mis-installation and damaging mistakes) when they replaced my trans under BMW warranty. Trust me when I say that dealership service departments generally suck. Hence it's smart to visit a competent indy. Where are you located in the world? A good indy will sell you the same trans as the dealer, including the two year unlimited mileage warranty (serviceable at any BMW dealership, not that you'd want it to be), and offer a better rate on labor. If you find a shop from http://www.iaibmwsp.org, I can assure that the job will likely be done with the utmost care.

Alternatively, 5 speed parts for your car are relatively inexpensive. We've got a few M20 5 speed transmissions at the shop and plenty of other misc parts floating around. They're also readily available from most wreckers and on eBay.

The car has a ZF 4hp-22, non hydraulic (EH). I personally wouldn't stick a used unit in anybody's car, let alone my own. These trannies have a propensity to blow up from a few minor faults, and bargaining with a used unit (and the previous owner's habits/lack of care in changing the fluid and filter), or even a "warrantied" rebuild by a local shop, have the potential to be expensive mistakes.

best, whit

"Alternatively, 5 speed parts for your car are relatively inexpensive. We've got a few M20 5 speed transmissions at the shop and plenty of other misc parts floating around. They're also readily available from most wreckers and on eBay."

This might not be what you're talking about, but can a four speed be changed to a 5 speed?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    "Alternatively, 5 speed parts for your car are relatively inexpensive. We've got a few M20 5 speed transmissions at the shop and plenty of other misc parts floating around. They're also readily available from most wreckers and on eBay."

This might not be what you're talking about, but can a four speed be changed to a 5 speed?
    Sorry, I should have read the rest of the thread. You are talking about switching to a 5 speed manual transmission.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

wow!!!!! whit, u sure know a lot about these cars. so a used trans is a bad idea! then would you said changing to a 5 speed is better then replacing the auto unit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast