GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The car is overheating, i cannot fix it.

Thermostats are funny fellas. I think a good rule when putting a motor back together is to put it in a saucepan with a 100 degree thermometer, chk it fully opens at the rated temp so you can count it out of any operational problems you encounter afterwards.
    Kriss, one word of warning though- boiling a thermostat can wreck it- some have wax or a checmical substance inside them that can come out if they boil. Not sure about ours though.... perhaps these are old ones (I've never boiled one yet as it only takes a minute or two) and I am usually due for a cup of tea by then... GP

Kriss- be sure the air does not get back in when sitting overnight. After she pressurises over the next few drives, be sure to shut her off and check the bleeder for air. If you keep finding some, it indicates a small leak. Its a good check, helps you be sure its done right. GP

EDIT: And always drill a 2mm hole thru the top of the outer ring. Bleeding is a guessing game without doing so...
    Last edited by genphreak; 08-27-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    i lost coolant and got the warnings etc when i was mucking around with it Paul. I even drained the radiator. I lost coolant sure. I had the heater on a few times, but the heater doesn't work. i'm sure the coolant return line is clear. it seems to be okay now.
    Hopefully, your heater core isn't the cause of coolant loss. That was my case, so I bypassed it till I can get the time to fix it or the money to have someone else do it.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12