GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Difference between the 2.4td, 2.5td and 2.5tds

Default Difference between the 2.4td, 2.5td and 2.5tds

Hi there!

in a while i would like to swap a diesel in a e30. I would like to take a 6 cilinder turbodiesel from a e34. But i don't know which engine to take since I don't no the difference between the 2400 td, 2500 td and 2500 tds. Does anybody here no what the difference is.
    Does they have computers and can i take the bolts of a 324 td for the 2500 tds engine?
    I have some experience with tuning of some volkswagen turbodiesels. Not the TDI's but the 1.6 td and 1.9 td. This was really straightforward. Placing an intercooler, tweaking the pump and giving more turbopressure did the job.
    I would like to tune the bmw diesel in the same manner. Not being limited by a computer.
    Does anybody know an internetlink for info of bmw diesels?
    Thanks in advance!

Grtz,

Ruben Geerse

Quote Originally Posted by ruben
    in a while i would like to swap a diesel in a e30. I would like to take a 6 cilinder turbodiesel from a e34. But i don't know which engine to take since I don't no the difference between the 2400 td, 2500 td and 2500 tds. Does anybody here no what the difference is.
    Does they have computers and can i take the bolts of a 324 td for the 2500 tds engine?
    I have some experience with tuning of some volkswagen turbodiesels. Not the TDI's but the 1.6 td and 1.9 td. This was really straightforward. Placing an intercooler, tweaking the pump and giving more turbopressure did the job.
    I would like to tune the bmw diesel in the same manner. Not being limited by a computer.
    Does anybody know an internetlink for info of bmw diesels?
    2.4(t)d is M21B24 and 2.5td(s) is M51B25. As you can see, it's a whole different generation of engines. M21 is belt driven and M51 is chain driven. The only difference between 2.5td and 2.5tds is the intercooler. If you can get ahold of it, get the complete M51B25 with the turbo, intercooler, ECU and harness. The engine mounts are compatible. I'm not sure about the gearbox fitment, though.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Hi!

thanx 4 reacting that quick. The fact that the M51B25 has een ecu means that it can only be tuned by chip? Or is it just that straightforward as I described for the Volkswagen engines.
    For the tranny; will the original 324td tranny fit on a 525tds? I'm used to Volkswagen where almost everything is exchangeble.

Grtings!

ruben

Quote Originally Posted by ruben
    The fact that the M51B25 has een ecu means that it can only be tuned by chip? Or is it just that straightforward as I described for the Volkswagen engines.
    For the tranny; will the original 324td tranny fit on a 525tds? I'm used to Volkswagen where almost everything is exchangeble.
    Yes, M51 requires a tuning chip - but you can get around 20 HP more with it! I really don't have a clue about the tranny.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    2.4(t)d is M21B24 and 2.5td(s) is M51B25. As you can see, it's a whole different generation of engines. M21 is belt driven and M51 is chain driven. The only difference between 2.5td and 2.5tds is the intercooler. If you can get ahold of it, get the complete M51B25 with the turbo, intercooler, ECU and harness. The engine mounts are compatible. I'm not sure about the gearbox fitment, though.
    little correction: the diesel engines have no B in the engine code. they are called M21D24 and M51D25.
    let it be with the chip tuning. the tds engine is not a very durable one. it's an old swirl camber diesel, no common rail injection and so on, the 143hp from 2.5 liters are very much for that engine generation. the tds has enough faults already without being chipped.
    greets from Germany,
    Kai

A BMW is a black car with most rights in road traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai@e34.de
    little correction: the diesel engines have no B in the engine code. they are called M21D24 and M51D25.
    Thanks, I've consulted the table of engines on your site and it filled some of the blanks in my knowledge

let it be with the chip tuning. the tds engine is not a very durable one. it's an old swirl camber diesel, no common rail injection and so on, the 143hp from 2.5 liters are very much for that engine generation. the tds has enough faults already without being chipped.
    I've heard that from my mechanic, too - he said about 350k km is the best you can hope for with the TDS