GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATE super blue vs. Valvoline

Default ATE super blue vs. Valvoline

Obviously theres a big price difference. Is there any actual gain to using Ate instead of the valvoline dot 4 stuff?

Ate has two colors of fluid - blue and gold. makes it easier when flushing the system.

What color is the original brake fluid used in bmw?

For normal street driving, the Valvoline stuff (Synpower, right?) should be fine. I've even used it at the track with no problems.
    Drew Zacharda
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Please stay away from the ATE blue unless you plan on tracking the car a lot where you change the fluid very often. The ATE blue may turn plasitc components blue. The ATE Type 200 is the same stuff, but w/o the blue color.

Castrol GT LMA is also great stuff. It works extremetly well for performance street cars and is readily available in just about every auto parts store. This is cheaper and still has a high boiling point.

FYI: normal color brake fluid is a clear to bronze tint. The dirtier the fluid, the darker the color. The color also gets darker from the rubber lines and o-rings. However, this isn't the only reason to change the fluid. The brake fluid holds/attracts water and that is difficult to see.
    Last edited by Brandon J; 02-26-2004 at 10:55 AM.
    Brandon J

Default The price difference that I have found isn't that great to me, its like

This might help some

just under 6 locally for the valvoline and i can get the ate for about 8.50
    Also I can no longer find the specs for valvoline synpower, they have pulled them and the only thing they now state is the dry boiling point of 500, when the info you really want to know is the wet boiling point and how quickly it loses it... the comparison at this link may help a bit...

Valvoline SynPower has a higher BP than Castrol LMA. That's why I went with the SynPower after having both bottles in my hands at AutoZone

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    Please stay away from the ATE blue unless you plan on tracking the car a lot where you change the fluid very often. The ATE blue may turn plasitc components blue. The ATE Type 200 is the same stuff, but w/o the blue color.

Castrol GT LMA is also great stuff. It works extremetly well for performance street cars and is readily available in just about every auto parts store. This is cheaper and still has a high boiling point.

FYI: normal color brake fluid is a clear to bronze tint. The dirtier the fluid, the darker the color. The color also gets darker from the rubber lines and o-rings. However, this isn't the only reason to change the fluid. The brake fluid holds/attracts water and that is difficult to see.
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

All info about brake fluids in one page...

http://www.bestbrakes.com/brake_fluid.shtml

All the specs including DOT 3 & 4 on a table...

http://www.swedishbricks.com/700900F...Comparison.htm

Default Tiger I saw that page earlier but didn't post it since the numbers they

claimed were different than the numbers on the can of ate super blue that I am holding in my hand.. then I went to ate's site and they had the same numbers as I had on the can which is a wet boiling point of 392f not 396

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    All info about brake fluids in one page...

http://www.bestbrakes.com/brake_fluid.shtml

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast