GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing strut mounts??

Default Removing strut mounts??

I'm going to pull off my 3mm upper pads and replace them with 9mm to raise the car slightly.

My question is how much do I actually have to take apart just to remove the upper strut mount and get at that pad? I'm thinking if I disconect the sway bar link and then remove the 3 upper strut mount bolts that I can lower it down far enough to remove it. Has anyone done this? My spring compressor will fit in the fender well without any issues, just not sure I can get the strut assembly to drop the 6 or so inches I would need.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Anybody?? Somebody?? Buehler?? Buehler??

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2005 GMC HD Crew

You should plan to pull the strut out. I wouldn't do it in the car.

Sequence should be something like this:

- pull sway bar link
    - remove and hang brake caliper on stiff wire
    - I like to pull the rotor too; just makes things easier
    - undo the bottom 3 strut bolts
    - undo the top the strut bolts
    - remove the strut

Unless you have some really tricky spring compressor that I haven't seen, this would be by far the easiest (and safest) way to approach the job.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    You should plan to pull the strut out. I wouldn't do it in the car.

Sequence should be something like this:

- pull sway bar link
    - remove and hang brake caliper on stiff wire
    - I like to pull the rotor too; just makes things easier
    - undo the bottom 3 strut bolts
    - undo the top the strut bolts
    - remove the strut

Unless you have some really tricky spring compressor that I haven't seen, this would be by far the easiest (and safest) way to approach the job.
    I did it that way when I put the springs on, was just hoping to not have to pull the whole assembly this time. My spring compressor is 2 pieces. Basically it's 2 thick threaded rods with some brackets on it that have u-bolts that bolt around the coil. It fits right next to the spring without taking up much room.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    I'm going to pull off my 3mm upper pads and replace them with 9mm to raise the car slightly.

My question is how much do I actually have to take apart just to remove the upper strut mount and get at that pad? I'm thinking if I disconect the sway bar link and then remove the 3 upper strut mount bolts that I can lower it down far enough to remove it. Has anyone done this? My spring compressor will fit in the fender well without any issues, just not sure I can get the strut assembly to drop the 6 or so inches I would need.
    Too Low??

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

yep the whole thing has to come out...no other way (I tried).
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    yep the whole thing has to come out...no other way (I tried).

Brodee, that's why it has to be well planned out from the get go. I feel sorry for people who don't provision for bump stops or spring pads, then get in there and realize that they need them (or even worse -- don't realize and put it together with the old junk).

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Brodee, that's why it has to be well planned out from the get go. I feel sorry for people who don't provision for bump stops or spring pads, then get in there and realize that they need them (or even worse -- don't realize and put it together with the old junk).
    Whit, I'm not sure where you're coming from with that. My spring install
    was planned out. I researched for over 3 months on what springs to get and which pads to use.

The problem came in that the Vogtland springs I ordered advertised a 1.7" drop. After measuring my car and checking clearances I wanted to get close to 2" on the front. Read on here and other places that 2" would work without issues so I planned on the 3mm pads to compliment the springs, this should have set the car just under 2".

Instead the car went down 2.5", way too far. I thought I'd try to live with it for a while but since I'm rubbing my fender every now and then it's not what I want to do. So the best plan of action is to replace the 3mm pads with 9mm versions and raise the car back up another 1/4".

I'm not looking for ways to cut corners just for the sake of it, it just looked like I wouldn't need to pull the whole assembly so why do work I dont need to do. My question was answered on here and I will be pulling the whole assembly this weekend.

I'm sorry you feel I'm doing things half assed and unplanned but it's just not the case, it's not the way I do things.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2005 GMC HD Crew

I tried this but didnt go the extra mile, if you loosen the sway bar links, thrust and control arms you might be able to drop it enough to get the top bearing off. That was the part I felt was holding it up too far to drop it enough...you could try this and if it doesn't work then you pull the whole deal anyways? You cant do this with stock springs cause of the length of them but might be able to with the drop springs.

Let me know if this works.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I tried this but didnt go the extra mile, if you loosen the sway bar links, thrust and control arms you might be able to drop it enough to get the top bearing off. That was the part I felt was holding it up too far to drop it enough...you could try this and if it doesn't work then you pull the whole deal anyways? You cant do this with stock springs cause of the length of them but might be able to with the drop springs.

Let me know if this works.
    I'm going to go ahead and pull the strut assembly out. Not much work and a lot easier and probably safer to use the spring compressor on the ground. Not to mention I can take the assembly in the air conditioning and work on it since it's supposed to be 98 here this weekend.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast