GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alright, we're gonna bite the bullet...

Default Alright, we're gonna bite the bullet...

...heading down to Wilmington Saturday morning to look over the '01 525iT. CPO car, 48k miles, on CPO until 11/07. Anyone have any disparaging comments about the M54 with steptronic?
    Option codes:
    0522 xenons
    0650 in-dash CD
    0468 premium pkg
    0417 rear sunshade
    0202 steptronic paddles

Jet Black/Sand leather, one owner Florida car.

Actually LESS HP than our E34...

And, as a reminder, GINGER IS STILL FOR SALE, $7500.
    Last edited by billb; 08-24-2005 at 01:11 PM.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Gingers gonna be pissed if she sees you "gettin busy" in the new girl. Probably should arrange a backup ride if she dont want you back.

lol

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Nothing disparaging, just the usual caveats about the

the cam sensors ,both intake and exhaust which fail... After having the steptronic for awhile its not that big a deal to me...95% of the time the car stays in D and the other 5% switched to steptronic. I don't have the paddle shifters though and thought about getting a wheel for it but after driving awhile decided i didn't really need it. But if yours already comes with it, good deal. I don't know if you still have Guy stuff I and II, theres a lot of info on the m54 motor and the 2000 wagon in there.. Good luck, hope it turns out to be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by billb
    ...heading down to Wilmington Saturday morning to look over the '01 525iT. CPO car, 48k miles, on CPO until 11/07. Anyone have any disparaging comments about the M54 with steptronic?
    Option codes:
    0522 xenons
    0650 in-dash CD
    0468 premium pkg
    0417 rear sunshade
    0202 steptronic paddles

Jet Black/Sand leather, one owner Florida car.

Actually LESS HP than our E34...

And, as a reminder, GINGER IS STILL FOR SALE, $7500.

Default Yes, thanks Bill! Web likes to look at that stuff with me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    the cam sensors ,both intake and exhaust which fail... After having the steptronic for awhile its not that big a deal to me...95% of the time the car stays in D and the other 5% switched to steptronic. I don't have the paddle shifters though and thought about getting a wheel for it but after driving awhile decided i didn't really need it. But if yours already comes with it, good deal. I don't know if you still have Guy stuff I and II, theres a lot of info on the m54 motor and the 2000 wagon in there.. Good luck, hope it turns out to be a good one.
    He is becoming quite the little helper.

One major concern is whether our dog box will fit in the back of the wagon...
    I'm guessing the cam sensors are fairly easy to diagnose and replace?
    My only reason for going for the Steptronic is to go away from the Strasbourg GM 4hp22. Is the reliability better on the steptronics?
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default Supposedly yes, its a zf which also means if it does

break its a lot more pennies to rebuild than a strassbourg.... But i went for it for the same reason. My thinking is that i will change the lifetime fluid about every 50k and hopefully it will last as long as i want to keep it..
    Yes with a newer cheapy obdII scan tool you can get the codes that will tell you if its a cam sensor. Newer code readers for obII are less than 100 nowdays. In my case when my sensor went bad it wasn't worth using my cpo warranty since the 50 deductible and leaving with unknown mechanics made the decision easy for me to do it myself.

He is becoming quite the little helper.

I'm guessing the cam sensors are fairly easy to diagnose and replace?
    My only reason for going for the Steptronic is to go away from the Strasbourg GM 4hp22. Is the reliability better on the steptronics?

Well..here are the dimensions for the e34 Touring's cargo area...and I believe the e39's cargo area is slightly bigger. Maybe this will help determine if your dog box will fit.

E34 Touring cargo area: with rear seat in upright position, the distance to rear tailgate is 42".

E39 Touring cargo area w/o pull-out shelf:

E39 Touring cargo area w/pull-out shelf:
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-24-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Take a look at the front door seals, they usually rub almost into right at the latch part. There is a upgraded seal that is supposed to be a better wear item. I had them replace Lori's when it was in the shop getting the deer hair off of it.

Remember to fill out the necessary paperwork and documentation for the $500 rebate from the BMWCCA.

If the car is optioned with automatic climate control, check the fan at medium speed after it has sat in the sun for a while. If it surges and doesn't stay steady, a $50 resistor is the fix. Make the dealer fix it. Any repairs after 50k miles will be your $50 deductible under CPO. Also check the operation of the buttons, they tend to stick sometimes and new caps are the answer, a cheap and simple remedy due to the location of the pissy cupholders. =)

Does the car have zenon's? If so, you will love the clean light they produce, (the eyes look cool too!) although high beams won't be like the E-34 airplane landing lights, the low beams will sure to please you.

Check the steering wheel for squeeks, typical clockspring lube issue.

Lori racks up between 30-40k miles a year, so the CPO will be gone before I know it. Like Bill R. suggests, it's coming time to replace the lifetime fluid on the transmission, most people change it at around 70k miles. Those who don't, won't....and are seeing a few problems at 140-160k, and are content to change the transmission if it fails. Hmmm, let's see, a $200-oil change or a $3000 transmission???

Also, buy a Peake Code Reader with the attachment to read the new 16 pin diagnostic. You'll need it to reset the service lights and inspection lights if you do your own work, it's also handy to read your own codes. I picked one up for $120 with the attachment, it will read BMW's from 89-03.

Check the rear control arms, yes, they now have control arms in the rear! Look at the bushings the same way you check the fronts. They tend to wear more in the rear for some reason.

There were two types of OBC's used in the E-39, a basic one, and a highline one that have the same functions as the E-34. If this car is optioned with the "highline" type, you will see the letters "BC" on one side of the buttons on the left side of the radio controls. Lori's doesn't have the highline, and could use the automatic vent control after work in the summer. The A/C however, will frost your balls off, so it's really not needed. One feature is the "rest" button on the climate control. After shutdown of the car in the winter, if the button is pressed, it will continue to blow warm air in the cabin, using the engine heat and the small electric water pump for the HVAC system. It's great if you have to wait in the car for a while without running the engine.

Good luck Bill B. , hope this helps some.

Jr

Default Thanks guys for your input!! JR and Bill, will keep your advice close...

Thanks for the dimensions Q!! We're getting excited about this endeavor. Of course, I washed Ginger up real nice tonight after having to replace a 3000 mile Yokohama due to a deck screw in the shoulder. TireRack road hazard comes through again! Guess she feels like she's getting screwed on this deal!

Stay tuned...
    Bill B.
    95 525i

im not a religious or superstitious man, but i second jeff's feelings on the subject. taking ginger along is almost like asking for trouble. i don't know if i'd do the same if i were in your shoes.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Nope, we'll be driving the Exploder down, seeing what they'll give on trade-in.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    im not a religious or superstitious man, but i second jeff's feelings on the subject. taking ginger along is almost like asking for trouble. i don't know if i'd do the same if i were in your shoes.
    If anything, it will be a welcoming party, if we return home with a 3rd bimmer for the driveway. Kinda like putting on your Sunday best before your cousin comes over for dinner.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast