GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to R&R an auto tranny shift knob?

Default How to R&R an auto tranny shift knob?

Want to make sure I get this right. How do you remove the thing and get it back on?

as far as I know theres 1 torx screw on the front side of the handle then you pull up.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    as far as I know theres 1 torx screw on the front side of the handle then you pull up.
    I noticed that screw before. Just didn't think it (or anything on this car) could be that simple.

Then again, without your post and given the odd angle into that hole, I'd probably have never figured out that I need a torx driver. It'd have been the last driver I'd try, if at all.

just pull the your hand brake up...and move the gear lever back to N ...or even further back if the room is needed...undo the screw and pull up.

Hold upward on the release button and this will help keep the rod (#11 in diagram) inside the handle from falling off its little hanger.

You have gone to the online parts database to see how it all fits together, right? ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=25&fg=15 )

The rod is what stops the lever from moving in and out of the gears.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    just pull the your hand brake up...and move the gear lever back to N ...or even further back if the room is needed...undo the screw and pull up.

Hold upward on the release button and this will help keep the rod (#11 in diagram) inside the handle from falling off its little hanger.

You have gone to the online parts database to see how it all fits together, right? ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=25&fg=15 )

The rod is what stops the lever from moving in and out of the gears.
    Many thanks.

Do I want to keep the rod stuck inside the handle? What if it comes out? Is it a pain to put it back?
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 08-24-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Jeff, it's not a Torx. It's a hex key. For some reason, the numeral 6 appeals to the memory right now, but I think it's something smaller.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Jeff, it's not a Torx. It's a hex key. For some reason, the numeral 6 appeals to the memory right now, but I think it's something smaller.

best, whit
    You mean a 6mm? I think it must be smaller than that. No matter, I have a whole set

So it is a hex, then, and not a torx?

Default Yes its a hex or allen bolt not a torx

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    You mean a 6mm? I think it must be smaller than that. No matter, I have a whole set

So it is a hex, then, and not a torx?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Y
    T (for thanks )

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    Do I want to keep the rod stuck inside the handle? What if it comes out? Is it a pain to put it back?
    My tip was just to inform you that the rod was there...if you depress the button it will just keep the rod from falling down inside...if it does, its not hard to fish out...but why have to if you can avoid it.

once you clear the gear lever...it doesn't matter. The rod itself hangs off a little hook up inside the handle that is attached to the release button. Just make sure the rod is hanging on the little handle when you re-insert it. If not...it will rest on the bottom and prevent you from pulling the lever thru the gears. When you depress the button, it lifts the rod and that allows thelever to move back and forth.

It will all become crystal clear when you take the handle off. Its simple and easy and you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just make sure you pull the emergency brake on when you move the lever out of gear ...would hate to hear that you rolled out into the street or thru your garage door.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast