GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question: how many gears does my car have?

Default Stupid question: how many gears does my car have?

A 1990 535i with an auto tranny. I know BMW was among the first to offer a 5-speed auto. Do I have one?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    A 1990 535i with an auto tranny. I know BMW was among the first to offer a 5-speed auto. Do I have one?
    i think you have the 4 speed auto, i think its calles the 4hp22 not sure

Default You have a 4 speed with a lock up converter so some people think that

its shifting one more time when the converter locks up... but its not..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    its shifting one more time when the converter locks up... but its not..
    Thanks. The converter lock-up is what made me decide I couldn't figure this out just by counting

My father had a similar 740il a while back, and it was a 5-speed auto IIRC, so I wondered if my car had the same thing. Guess not.

Thanks.

The E32 740 uses ZF's 5hp-30, which is a 5 speed trans.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    You have a 4 speed with a lock up converter so some people think that its shifting one more time when the converter locks up... but its not..
    My F250 7.3 litre turbo diesel has a 3 speed auto box with lock up torque converter. Ford calls it overdrive ! LOL

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    The E32 740 uses ZF's 5hp-30, which is a 5 speed trans.

best, whit
    That 'splains it. Thanks.

Default Some one please explain the "Lock up Convert" I am A little confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    My F250 7.3 litre turbo diesel has a 3 speed auto box with lock up torque converter. Ford calls it overdrive ! LOL
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by Kakaire
    thx
    Your torque converter is like a big piece of goo between the engine and the driven wheels. When you put your foot down to make more power, the power is trasmitted through the goo, giving an 'elastic band' feeling -- like your right foot is not directly connected to the driven wheels. Which it isn't. It is in a manual car, though, because a clutch (hopefully) doesn't slip the way a torque converter does.

The torque converter has to behave this way to accomodate slow speed driving and in-gear idling, given that you don't have a clutch.

At higher speeds, to increase economy and throttle response, the torque converter can lock up, which means that it stops being goo and starts being a solid mechanical connection between engine and wheels. When the torque converter is locked up, throttle respose is as good as in a manual car.

My post was prompted by my desire for that manual-car level of throttle response through medium-speed corners. I hate that there's a delay and a gooifying effect of my right foot's movements by the time they get to the driven wheels. A locked up converter would make it much easier for us auto guys to balance the car through corners with the accelerator.

Hope that explains things.

Your torque converter is like a big piece of goo between the engine and the driven wheels. When you put your foot down to make more power, the power is trasmitted through the goo, giving an 'elastic band' feeling -- like your right foot is not directly connected to the driven wheels. Which it isn't. It is in a manual car, though, because a clutch (hopefully) doesn't slip the way a torque converter does.

The torque converter has to behave this way to accomodate slow speed driving and in-gear idling, given that you don't have a clutch.

At higher speeds, to increase economy and throttle response, the torque converter can lock up, which means that it stops being goo and starts being a solid mechanical connection between engine and wheels. When the torque converter is locked up, throttle respose is as good as in a manual car.

My post was prompted by my desire for that manual-car level of throttle response through medium-speed corners. I hate that there's a delay and a gooifying effect of my right foot's movements by the time they get to the driven wheels. A locked up converter would make it much easier for us auto guys to balance the car through corners with the accelerator.

Hope that explains things.
    I noticed if im (in my 95 525i) in the 1 or 2 position, in A mode, the car is much more responsive, in comparison to a start from zero in s3 mode. does this have to do with the goo locking up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast