GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Oil Pressure Sensor Warning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oil Pressure Sensor Warning

I just got an Oil Pressure Sensor Warning on my BMW. My Bentley manual is at home. I was trying to get a part number on RealOEM.com but I couldn't seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction. Maybe the part just needs a little attention?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

ukm5 Guest

does it come on all the time?
    they have a tendancy to give a warning if the car has been started a few times in succession for only a few seconds

Quote Originally Posted by ukm5
    does it come on all the time?
    they have a tendancy to give a warning if the car has been started a few times in succession for only a few seconds
    Actually I did start the car up after I had just turned it off. I guess I'll see what happens when I go home from work in an hour or two. Thanks!

I found part number 12 61 1 710 509 which is listed as an Oil Pressure Switch. Is this the part I'm getting a warning on? I had planned on changing my oil out sometime this week. Is this something that can wait or should I do it ASAP?

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I found part number 12 61 1 710 509 which is listed as an Oil Pressure Switch. Is this the part I'm getting a warning on? I had planned on changing my oil out sometime this week. Is this something that can wait or should I do it ASAP?
    I've gotten the same message on my on-board computer and had it changed. Although it didn't solve my starting problem, it was a relatively easy task given the proper tools.
    On an M30, you just have to remove the coolant expansion tank (it makes it so much easier) to get to it. It should be close to the firewall behind cylinder #6 sitting on top.
    Plus it was 14$CAD. So, although it didn't solve the problem, it can't hurt to change the part I read on the board that it was prone to failure.

Fred
    Loving my Problem Child.

M30 Manual / LSD / Prod. Date: 09-1989 / Basketweaves / Black Leather w/ rear headrests / Alpine Weiss III / 365k kms

when does the warning come on?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    when does the warning come on?
    It actually only came on the one time. It was just as ukm5 said. I turned the ignition off and then restarted the car right away, then turned the car off again and got the message. It hasn't happened again since.

I got that message in my 535i a couple of years ago. Took the switch out and cleaned it by shaking it around in some fuel. Resistance tested with multimeter was zero ohms between the terminal on the switch and the switch body. Then pushing in through the orifice on the switch with the blunt end of a drill bit the resistance changes to infinity. I was reasonably certain the switch was OK after this so I re-installed it. Done 10000k since with no sign of the message again.
    Also, with the switch in the engine there should be 12v at the switch wire with engine running.
    Of course it is possible you do in fact have low oil pressure - to test you need to get a pressure gauge and adaptor to screw into the engine in place of fhe switch.

Bill G

Quote Originally Posted by bill g
    I got that message in my 535i a couple of years ago. Took the switch out and cleaned it by shaking it around in some fuel. Resistance tested with multimeter was zero ohms between the terminal on the switch and the switch body. Then pushing in through the orifice on the switch with the blunt end of a drill bit the resistance changes to infinity. I was reasonably certain the switch was OK after this so I re-installed it. Done 10000k since with no sign of the message again.
    Also, with the switch in the engine there should be 12v at the switch wire with engine running.
    Of course it is possible you do in fact have low oil pressure - to test you need to get a pressure gauge and adaptor to screw into the engine in place of fhe switch.

Bill G
    It appears to be a one time thing with the turn off, turn on & turn off of the ignition.