GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio input

Default Radio input

Hope this isn't a re post... Is there anyway to hard wire a mp3 player(ipod) to the factory deck like is there aux inputs like from the cd changer. I already have a power supply circuit in mind just need to get ipod to hook up... thanks for any help also another quick q? I saw somewhere where someone intregrated his garage door remote w/ the factory cellphone wiring harnis so you can open the garage by pushing in on one of the controlls.

Check out some of the current interfaces from www.soundgate.com. I'm not sure if they offer one that works on the e34, they do have them for e38, e39, and e46.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

you can always get the thing that hooks up to the ipod that broadcasts its output to a certain radio frequency, much easyer and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by ericcamaro
    you can always get the thing that hooks up to the ipod that broadcasts its output to a certain radio frequency, much easyer and cheaper.
    Those kinda blow, but I use a tape deck adapter with my iPod and get great results.

With some fiddling, it is possible to wire your iPod such that it fools the deck into thinking it's a CD changer. You'd have to forego your changer, of course. Google it and you should find something.

If you have a tape deck, I really recommend just using a tape adapter, which will set you back $20. Sure, the audiophiles will tell you the sound will suck, but it sounds great to me. A car's interior is such a lousy acoustic space anyway...
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 08-20-2005 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericcamaro
    Those FM Modulator systems just don't cut it. The PO had a cd changer hooked up that way and at least I could play CDs. I bought a Pioneer CDX-M30 that plugged directly into the Pioneer KE-83ZBM headunit and there is no comparison. It is just so clean sounding.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

jay, I've used one of the cassette adapters for several months, the sound is pretty good. I tried one of the FM transmitters, it didn't cut it. The cool thing about the transmitters is no wires but the sound suffered, even out here in BFE. The moment I hit Atlanta I was digging through the glovebox for the cassette adapter anyway.

My next purchase will be one of the dash mounted units that has a mini jack up front OR one in the back that I can snake up by the e brake since I keep my iPod in the little "box" between the seats anyway.

Default I searched for one for my E34

But no one seems to make one. I have the factory installed trunk mounted CD changer and it works great, but I was looking for some way to hook up an iPod. I also wanted the iPod to show some info through my dash annunciator like my CD Changer does. When I did my search it seemed that at one time there were hints that some vendor was planning something for the E34, but lately all those hints have dried up.

Perhaps since the E34 has now been out of production for a decade, most vendors have moved their focus on to newer BMW models. At one point I was thinking of designing a circuit to interface an iPod to the E34. I wonder how large a market exists for folks that wish to wire an iPod into a stock E34 system?

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge
    But no one seems to make one. I have the factory installed trunk mounted CD changer and it works great, but I was looking for some way to hook up an iPod. I also wanted the iPod to show some info through my dash annunciator like my CD Changer does. When I did my search it seemed that at one time there were hints that some vendor was planning something for the E34, but lately all those hints have dried up.

Perhaps since the E34 has now been out of production for a decade, most vendors have moved their focus on to newer BMW models. At one point I was thinking of designing a circuit to interface an iPod to the E34. I wonder how large a market exists for folks that wish to wire an iPod into a stock E34 system?
    Not much, I wouldn't think. Aftermarket head units are becoming increasingly more iPod-friendly. Alpine currently makes some head units that will interface seamlessly with an iPod, displaying the track info on the head unit display and enabling you to operate the iPod through the head unit's controls. See here: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...h_kca-420i.htm

There are disadvantages with the Alpine units, though. First of all, I'm not impressed with Alpine's products in general.

Secondly, I think the units are limited to reading something like the first 300 tracks on your iPod. So, if you have 3000 tracks like I do, you only get to hear songs that start with the letters A through C. You gotta read the fine print really closely to find that out. However, things might be changing. These products seem to improve and adapt to consumer demand pretty rapidly.

Thirdly, in a premium car like a BMW I'm highly disinclined to remove the stock head unit, just because it looks like it belongs. To each his own, though. New BMWs come with the option of an in-built iPod connection in the glovebox. Perhaps something like that could be retrofitted to an E34 -- at substantial cost, no doubt.

Then there's what I suggested earlier: rig up the iPod to act as a CD changer. I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but I know it can be done (provided your head unit supports a changer) and it would give you the best possible combination of sound quality and usability, IMHO. Here's how some guy did it with his Boxster: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/ipod/ Should be much the same for any car.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 08-20-2005 at 10:53 PM.

I would be willing to go in halves with you on costs to make such a thing... Group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    I would be willing to go in halves with you on costs to make such a thing... Group buy?
    Heck, count me in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast