GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radio input

my question is one how does the head unit tell disk changer next song and 2 how does the ipod know when to change songs? what i was thinking is one of those headphone controllers for the ipod (little square thing that has 4 buttons) and use that w/ possibly a relay or some circuit that when the BMW's head unit says next disk itl close the circuit on that little controller.

Hi there Payro

Maybe this wiring can help you....(attached)
    the cell input is leg no 4 (brown/black)but it is normally to create a mute function, you can modified it by using a relay or something and divert it to control your remote control.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hypothesis for a quick and dirty solution.

You know how the radio outputs a sound signal to the factory amp... You could possibly connect the headphone output from the ipod to the radio input of the factory amp. Then just use one of those radio controlled ipod remote things to control it, or run the wire to the center console and just use the ipod.

Of course then your factory radio would just be turned off when you weren't using it. Would be a simple solution, just tap into the wiring running to the amp, and you could stash the plug in the glovebox.

It's highly likely that the output from the ipod is wrong for the amp, but you could always build a simple amp aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    my question is one how does the head unit tell disk changer next song and 2 how does the ipod know when to change songs? what i was thinking is one of those headphone controllers for the ipod (little square thing that has 4 buttons) and use that w/ possibly a relay or some circuit that when the BMW's head unit says next disk itl close the circuit on that little controller.
    I dunno, and that may not be possible. With what I was suggesting, you'd still have to use the interface on the iPod to select your tracks.

Would anyone happen to have the pinout of the cd changer cable or a wireing diagram of that? I bought a 12v adapter for the ipod and its SIMPLE so if i can figure out the pinouts to the cd changer i wouln't mind makeing a simple schmatic and help people build them.

Default Check out this diagram of the BMWPIO adapter cable.....

Couldn't you simply splice into the pins 1, 2, 3, & 4 and use a 4 pole switch or relay to go between the CD changer signal and the iPod / mp3 player signal.

http://www.cambridgebrands.com/1995-...o-adapters.php

Of course the tuner selection would have to be set to 'CD' and the iPod / mp3 player would have to be controlled right at the device and not from the deck (like with the CD). A nice toggle switch or button used with a 4 pole, double throw (12VDC) relay could be slick.

I have a RCA Lyra 1080 with a 1GB SD chip (nearly 600 songs) and I would love to find a cleaner way to use it with my car than the tape adapter.

Since this radio system used M-bus, it is a lot harder to use the deck for control without making an inteface box ($$).

SIIIICK THANK YOU !!!! just what i was looking for... Im going o play around with that tomrarow along with my disk erroring cd changer...

damn, i wish you guys would have been doin this a month ago....i just bought the pioneer stuff....it sounds great, but i do like the stock look. it'll be cool to see what you guys come up with tho.
    -amir

Did this idea ever pan out for anyone?

pan out?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast