GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: whos got a stuffed radiator lying about?

Default whos got a stuffed radiator lying about?

i want to try and develop a more suitable fix for the little plug problem. if you have a stuffed radiator lying about i need to know does the plug under the top left hose have a thread on it or how is it kept in place there? i cant butcher mine to find out as its still in the car. the little plug has a small hex type head on it, maybe 2mm across. i know some models have tranny cooling going from this point and some do not .im thinking i might be able to get a small stainless piece behind it with a small nut tig welded on to it and then marry it up with another small stainless piece on the outside and pull them together with some sealant or adhesive in between. am i going mad by suggesting this or is it worth a try? this could liberate us at the mercy of a new radiator.
    Last edited by mattyb; 08-19-2005 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Matt....As stated in the earlier thread, once the plastic tanks start to leak, it's best to replace the radiator. I don't know if you're looking for a temporary fix or not, but patching it is tantamount to playing with a time bomb.

BMW V8s, for emissions purposes, run hotter than the six cylinders. Prolonged exposure to upwards of 105+ degree coolant (on hot summer days) compromises the structural integrity of the various plastic parts. This is why, in the common case of an M60 expansion tank blowing up and the engine overheating, practically every plastic part in the system has to be replaced. Weight benefits aside, plastic just doesn't do the trick as a reliable long term cooling system material.

So, patch the radiator if you don't mind the possibility of getting stranded. Otherwise, and I have to be frank about this -- don't be cheap about it and do it the correct way. These cars don't like half assed repairs. (In fact, I had one of mine fail yesterday on Fritz)

best, whit

thanx mate. i guess i should stop dreaming and just do it.

shop around matt and dont rule out the possibility of bma....
    Gone but not forgotten