GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ::.. Clay Bar - Detailing - DO IT!

Default ::.. Clay Bar - Detailing - DO IT!

You know those infomercials that claim their product can do just about everything under the sun, and be best at it? That's what the clay bar is.

During my afternoon stroll through Canadian Tire, I noticed a lone box of Mothers clay bar kit sitting on the shelf. Having never used the stuff before, I thought I'd pick it up and try it... see what the hype was all about.

Now I JUST washed the car yesterday and gave it a full wax...

---

Few hours later, head home and break open the kit.

I've long thought that the 'clay' bar I keep hearing about it something like a bar of soap... something harder and meant to basically sand the finish. Man, was I totally wrong.

A few sprays of the detailing liquid and a few rubs with the clay bar and BLAM! Freak, it's like you bought something on an infomercial and it ACTUALLY WORKED! It's THAT STUNNING! There was absolutely NO comparison of the waxed section (smooth already in itself) and the freshly bar'd section. Freaking just like off the showroom floor!

I only managed to get a small section of the hood/bonnet done and I can't wait to complete the whole car tomorrow.

To YOU who haven't used it before... DO IT! Just DO IT!

Damn easy. Spray some detailing liquid and run the bar across the paint. That's it!

When I say run, I literally mean that. Just do it like you're moving the mouse. Little to no pressure needed!

I've spent more time and effort using waxes and polishes (and cleaners) but never had such an effect.

My two cents.

Oh, and to those still skeptical... I tried to buff and polish with just the detailing spray itself, but no avail. It's definitely the bar doing the work

On sale $19 CAD at Canadian Tire.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

yeah right....

LOL i still am not convinced. Probably cause the look would be ruined on the way out to the main paved road.

I do believe it does work...just a PITA to work with, you however make it sound a lot easier than any other posts.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

hmmm, tempting... I am pretty lazy, but if it's that easy...
    I have a Canadian tire near me too,
    anyone else have the same results???
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Seriously...

All you have to do is keep the bar lubed and move it over your paint like you move your computer mouse!

Hey man, if it doesn't work for you, return it!

It's quicker than waxing (though you should afterwards) and it's a damn fine result. Do the baggie test. Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it over your clean paint. Does it catch and feel gritty? Bar it and it'll be like a baby's bottom smooth!

I expect a few of you folks to come back in a few days saying how impressed you are

damn.... now im gonna have to look for it at least to get a few good shots of a clean car before I throw it through another michigan winter. I still have a few parts to replace as maintenance but the claybar sounds easier to think about it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    damn.... now im gonna have to look for it at least to get a few good shots of a clean car before I throw it through another michigan winter. I still have a few parts to replace as maintenance but the claybar sounds easier to think about it.
    It's easy. I think I've made my point. If you run your hand over your paint after a wax and it feels like there's still a roughness, even if minor, bar it and laugh at the fool next door using the orbital and sweating away.

I bought the same kit over here $50.00 AUD!! I'm looking just to buy some detailing clay on it's own. These kits, while they work, are absolutely overpriced to hell!

The clay bar lifts all the embedded crap out of the paintwork. Tree sap, industrial fallout, brake metallics etc. To do the job properly you should...

1. Wash your car first
    2. Remove any old wax with a wax remover
    3. Wash again
    4. Claybar the paintwork
    5. Buff the paint with cutting compound
    6. Follow up with a swirl remover
    7. Wax with a good quality wax

If you're really anal you can include a high grade polish bewteen the swirl removal and waxing steps. This is more beneficial on dark colored paint.

If you drop the claybar in the dirt, throw it away immediately or you'll scratch the crap out of your paintwork.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Just remember not to overdo with the clay bar. As it removes oxides it also messes with your clear coat. Once every year should be good.

Just a FYI. clay does NOT replace waxing.

Pundit has it down...except, if you are going to compound your car, you can skip #2, as compounding will remove all the wax.

If you want a wax to last, go through his steps, and at the end, apply a Sealant Glaze. You will want 3 layers of this, each layer having a curing time of 24-48 hours. After that, choose your favoritn Carnauba wax, and then add 3 layers. THe Sealant Glaze should be good for 6 months, and you can top off your car once a month with a fresh coat of Carnauba wax.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

I bought the Mother's Kit about 4 to 5 weeks ago. As soon as I finish the engine maintenance I'm almost finished with, it's Clay Bar Time. I had already used the Mother's Cleaning Wax and it made a huge difference.

Your enthusiasm has me inspired again about the clay bar.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast