GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stearing Is "Chunky"

Default Stearing Is "Chunky"

Hey my 1989 535i seems to be a world of problems right now, but alas tahts why me and my dad bought the 5000 beauty. (sexiest car ever i think haha)

anyway just lately the stearing seems to be "chunky" almost as if the power stearing is completely gone. for instance when i try and turn i have to actually use alot more muscle then i ususally would, and also after completeing the turn , i have to straightin the car out, i dont get the automatic turn back like i used to.

anyone have any ideas.? i checked the powerstearing fluid and it was full. so i really have no idear.

thanks.

-J.Mc

89 535i
    Barrie ON Canada

On occasions when I have power-washede the engine bay (Yes, I know thats naughty), I have had 'intermittant power steering'. As though the power was on-then-off-then-on-then-off really quickly... Once the engine bay dried, it was fine.

Maybe there is moisture in the electronics somewhere??

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by McWatters
    Hey my 1989 535i seems to be a world of problems right now, but alas tahts why me and my dad bought the 5000 beauty. (sexiest car ever i think haha)

anyway just lately the stearing seems to be "chunky" almost as if the power stearing is completely gone. for instance when i try and turn i have to actually use alot more muscle then i ususally would, and also after completeing the turn , i have to straightin the car out, i dont get the automatic turn back like i used to.

anyone have any ideas.? i checked the powerstearing fluid and it was full. so i really have no idear.

thanks.

the power steering maybe full but could be old. So get a pump and get it all out or drain the power steering containter. Put in some new dexron 3 atf fluid . it fixed my car's steering problems. it seems it is heavy sometimes for you. maybe your powersteering pump need to be replaced, this is your second option.

yep, drain the fluid at the bottom of the pump and add new stuff. Inside the pump is a screen that gets clogged sometimes and the only fix is a new one...the screen is not replaceable as far as I know.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    yep, drain the fluid at the bottom of the pump and add new stuff. Inside the pump is a screen that gets clogged sometimes and the only fix is a new one...the screen is not replaceable as far as I know.
    My steering seems to lose assistance just after starting from cold. It only happens for a couple of seconds at a time but within half a minute seems to come good. I'm suspecting a partially blocked filter screen in the bottom of the reservoir which restricts the fluid flow more when the fluid is cold and less viscous. I'm going to remove the reservoir and give it a good flush with Prepsol which is a grease and wax removing cleaner.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

exellent thanks alot for the help ill giv'er a try

-J.McWatters

McWatters --

If you end up draining the PS fluid, be sure to replace it with the correct stuff. Your car should use ATF.

Now, draining it is rather straight forward -- open the banjo bolt on the line that runs from the reservoir to the pump (at the pump). It won't all come out the first time around. Button it up and fill the reservoir with new fluid. Start the car and bleed the system (rotate steering wheel lock to lock) for a few minutes. It doesn't have to stop chattering, but the fluid in the reservoir should probably be free of bubbles by the time you stop. Drain it again and then fill, bleed it until the system doesn't chatter anymore. If it won't stop chattering and fluid was brown, the seals in the system are probably gone and adding the new fluid killed it (just the risk you take ).

Power steering pumps and lines go. I'd be looking for something stupid, though -- loose belt would do it every time.

best, whit