GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The car is overheating, i cannot fix it.

Default The car is overheating, i cannot fix it.

I asked Winfred for some help, he mentioned that the thermostat may not be working properly, I cannot work out why though. If first started when I tried to get my heater working, a few days ago ( http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12092 ) and it happened after this. One of the lines had a bit of coolant coming out (maybe?) when I was mucking around with it.

I bled the system (a lot) to no avail. As soon as I pressurise it and put the main cap back on and take it for a spin, (the coolant temp starts go go past 12 o'clock). I think I have air in the cooling system but I cannot work out why it's staying around. the coolant return line is okay, I blew air though it and air was coming out at the overfill tank. The radiator lines look okay, it started mucking around after I played with the heater valves. Should I take the thermostat out and check it? any help is appreciated. When the temp starts rising it comes back down when I take the radiator cap off and bleed it. When I pressurise it, the problems start again. argh

do you have a real BMW stat with the check ball in it? If not drill a small hole and lign it up to the top and then try to bleed it. I dont remember all your specifics on your car.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    I asked Winfred for some help, he mentioned that the thermostat may not be working properly, I cannot work out why though. If first started when I tried to get my heater working, a few days ago ( http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12092 ) and it happened after this. One of the lines had a bit of coolant coming out (maybe?) when I was mucking around with it.

I bled the system (a lot) to no avail. As soon as I pressurise it and put the main cap back on and take it for a spin, (the coolant temp starts go go past 12 o'clock). I think I have air in the cooling system but I cannot work out why it's staying around. the coolant return line is okay, I blew air though it and air was coming out at the overfill tank. The radiator lines look okay, it started mucking around after I played with the heater valves. Should I take the thermostat out and check it? any help is appreciated. When the temp starts rising it comes back down when I take the radiator cap off and bleed it. When I pressurise it, the problems start again. argh

I know it is poor form to just start throwing parts at a problem, but if you are thinking about replacing the thermostat I have a new one you can have for shipping. PO bought it and never got it installed.

Upgraded mechanics for Charlie and these folks won't install parts they can't guarantee. I am still in the armchair mechanic category so it is just cluttering up the house.

I would tell you the brand, but will have to clean house a little to find it. Saw the receipt a few weeks ago an noticed it was ordered from our man, Patrick.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Just talked with Kris, he is going to pull the stat and throw it in some boiling water...he alsy says the pumps fukt...whatever that means.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

my car was madd over heating just lately, when i stopped opened up the hood, coolant was spraying everywhere, from the line. the clamp sort of thing that attaches the line had completely busted off, was a great mess. Luckily i was at a marina, so got a new clamp thing and attached it on, works fine now.

J.McWatters

weird stuff these cooling systems. I was going to look at the thermostat, I though damm, some more work for me. With the car off, I filled up the radiator to the top, it took about 4L or 9 pints. Put the top back on and started it up, i didn't bleed it. I took if for an italian tune-up and it's sweet now. no problems at all. i'm still shaking my head, becasue it's been like this for the last 6 days, i was getting worried.

sheesh it was empty...check around the heater valves for a leak...did you get any coolant level warnings.....did you lose coolant when you messed around with the heater valves,have you since had the heater on????Maybe the heater matrix was empty and all the coolant went there???Are you sure the radiator/coolant tank line is clear?
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    sheesh it was empty...check around the heater valves for a leak...did you get any coolant level warnings.....did you lose coolant when you messed around with the heater valves,have you since had the heater on????Maybe the heater matrix was empty and all the coolant went there???Are you sure the radiator/coolant tank line is clear?
    i lost coolant and got the warnings etc when i was mucking around with it Paul. I even drained the radiator. I lost coolant sure. I had the heater on a few times, but the heater doesn't work. i'm sure the coolant return line is clear. it seems to be okay now.

yea it can be a adventure sometimes, the other day i did a m50 525 with overheating problems that had a thermostat that would only open about half way when boiled, and today i did a timing belt/water pump/t-stat on a e30 325i that didn't quite want to burp and the pisser line did flow a little, well it didn't flow enough, after i ran a drill through it all was well

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    weird stuff these cooling systems. I was going to look at the thermostat, I though damm, some more work for me. With the car off, I filled up the radiator to the top, it took about 4L or 9 pints. Put the top back on and started it up, i didn't bleed it. I took if for an italian tune-up and it's sweet now. no problems at all. i'm still shaking my head, becasue it's been like this for the last 6 days, i was getting worried.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

actually, checked the car again, there is a coolant leak. damm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast