GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door locks will not syncronize they have to be locked twice

Unregistered Guest

Default Door locks will not syncronize they have to be locked twice

I've been looking for a short in the lock system. The only place that the doors will not operate is from the trunk. It only works manually to lock and unlock the trunk. When you go to lock the doors from the front door it takes twice to get them to lock. I take it that this is a sign that the trunk is not working correctly. I tried to follow Bruno's info without results and then went to the Bentley book where it says to lower alll windows, open sunroof, turn counterclockwise to position 3 to double lock doors, trunk lid and fuel filler flap. It says a loud click will be heard twice, I hear nothing and no doors lock.
    Any ideas?
    Steve

i would guess that you have the short circuit in the wiring on the trunk hinge
    Gone but not forgotten

remove rear seat... locate fuses on driver side.. three 7.5 amp brown fuses.. one of them are blown.. easy fix

Check you fuse under the back seat.

Unregistered Guest

i have the same problem, but it only happens the majority of the time, sometimes the doors will lock on the first turn. Also my passenger door lock will not come all the way up when i unlock the doors. You can hear it trying to get up but it only moves about half way. Any suggestions?

ukbob Guest

Default Remote Locking

I found that the first attempt at remote locking would see the doors lock, then unlock themselves. The second attempt would stay locked. Eventually, I realised that the car was telling me something: that the trunk was not locking. This appeared to be an actuator failure, so I got a new (expensive) one, only to find that it didn't work either. So the fault is somewhere further back in the system. Fuses look okay visually. Any other suggestions?

Have you checked the trunk lock to see if the actuator linkage is disconnected from the lock?

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I've been looking for a short in the lock system. The only place that the doors will not operate is from the trunk. It only works manually to lock and unlock the trunk. When you go to lock the doors from the front door it takes twice to get them to lock. I take it that this is a sign that the trunk is not working correctly. I tried to follow Bruno's info without results and then went to the Bentley book where it says to lower alll windows, open sunroof, turn counterclockwise to position 3 to double lock doors, trunk lid and fuel filler flap. It says a loud click will be heard twice, I hear nothing and no doors lock.
    Any ideas?
    Steve
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default Same problem here, steve (more)

...In reading some misc info on this board, it's my understanding there may be a short somewhere in the wire loom running down the left-side trunk hinge which is causing the system to fault, and not engage the trunk lock. I have yet to find the short, but I'm still looking.

Rgds,
    Tim G
    '91 535iM

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Any ideas?
    Steve

I had this same issue. I tore down the trunk lock actuator, and it was fine (try splitting that open and putting it back together sometime! ).

Mine was caused by the wiring harness breaking on the trunk hinge, but it looked fine duing a cursory inspection. My problem was after the hinge, back behind the CD Changer bracket. There is a sharp edge back there that the harness runs next to. I had to splice in 2-4 inches of new wire on EVERY wire back there, they were all pretty torn up. It's a wonder that anything was working at all!

Took some time to solder and heatshrink all that new wire in, but now everything is working well.

check to make sure that the fuel door is locking..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast