GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken A/C -- where to start

Default Broken A/C -- where to start

The A/C in my car is completely broken, and has been for as long as I've known the car. I don't have automatic climate control; just the slider HVAC controls. Pressing the snowflake button does nothing. No sounds or movement anywhere, including under the hood, and no change in air pressure or temperature.

Where do I start? Is it a major nightmare?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    Where do I start? Is it a major nightmare?
    Yeah.

I thought about putting my system back together, but by the time I got around to it, summer was....well...where it is now...

The condensor's the weak point, usually. Pull the fan shroud, pop off the two radiator clips and push it back...see if there are any blatant oil spots on the condensor.

Beyond that, the process is one of adding dye to the system and having it vacuumed to find the leak(s).

One thing to remember is that refilling a system that hasn't been pressurized in a while usually results in a domino effect: replace the condensor, works for a week or two, then the compressor goes. Replace that, two weeks later a line goes. Replace that, two weeks later the evaporator is out. And the latter rarely goes unless the system has been neglected for a while.

Hence, as my boss likes to say, reparing an E32 or E34 A/C system is a $2000 bill for the customer. Might as well pull it out and save the weight in fuel economy.

best, whit

have the pressure tested before you do anything...could be a sensor or simply low on pressure.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks for those tips.

A $2000 repair bill is roughly what I expected. I just hope it can't go too high above that. I figure, though, that ice cold air has got to add at least $1000 to the resale value of the car, so you gotta factor that in. No?

You have an E34? Those compressors are R134a compatible so this might be an opportune time to make the switch. Any competent A/C shop should be able to do this within appropriate legal requirements. But I agree, you need to check the charge first, it might be below the pressure limit to enable the compressor clutch. If that's the case, you will probably have a repair on your hands anyway, so I'd still recommend the R134a conversion rather than refilling an unknown system with R12, whose price is approaching gold.

It's starting to sound like taking this to someone with experience is the only way to go. It's been at least three years since the A/C has worked.

Default Get It tested first

A good shop can detect the leak, and save an expensive A/C goose chase.

Sometimes you'll luck out and only need something easy to fix like an O ring.

Or

You'll end up like me having to replace the compressor and drier.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    A good shop can detect the leak, and save an expensive A/C goose chase.

Sometimes you'll luck out and only need something easy to fix like an O ring.

Or

You'll end up like me having to replace the compressor and drier.
    And what did that cost, parts + labor? Is teh A/C working well now?

Default I did the work, shop does the tricky stuff

The shop charges $50.00 to check for leaks.

I paid $340.00 for a compressor, drier and set of O rings.

A case of Heineken (paid to myself) for labor.

and another $50.00 to evacuate and recharge.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    Thanks for those tips.

A $2000 repair bill is roughly what I expected. I just hope it can't go too high above that. I figure, though, that ice cold air has got to add at least $1000 to the resale value of the car, so you gotta factor that in. No?
    $1000 for working A/C? Ah dunnows, brother.

I recently came into contact with a nasty 5 speed 535...rust through, dents, smoker.

Albeit the car was worth $500, to my amazement, the A/C worked very well...even with a seized aux fan. Hmm....no wonder it was overheating when stopped I don't think the A/C would do much of anything to ameliorate the value of this particular car, especially in a northern climate. I'll venture the guess that *most* people buying E34s these days don't care (or don't have the luxury to care) so much about the status of the A/C.

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast