GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What are the fitment issues with Style 5 rims on an E34?

Default What are the fitment issues with Style 5 rims on an E34?

Style 5 rims are at the top of my wish list. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about shimmies and spacers, and talk of stagger and other mumbo jumbo. What's it all about?

Are all Style 5 rims the same size?

If not, what sized rims and tires should I be looking for to replace the stock setup of 225/60/15?

Thanks!

Common style 5's: 17" version found on E39 cars with the sport package. The E39 has a larger hub; a hubcentric ring is needed to make it fit correctly. Read bmwe34.net or do a search for more details....we discuss it all the time

Not so common style 5's: 17" version found on some late E34 540/6 cars; has the correct hub size. 18" version found on some early E38 740i "sport" cars; again, has the correct hub but probably a 23mm offset.

Buy what you like. Ultimately, #1 (you) is the only person who'll care about them and the only person who'll clean them. Style 5's are a pain to clean

best, whit

Thanks Whit.

Should wheels requiring the hubcentric ring be avoided? Are the two different rims the same width? And what's the significance of the 23mm offset?

A pain to clean, perhaps, but worth it. You obviously agree. What issues have you faced with your wheels? What tires do you like, and what do they do for your car?

Oh, lastly, think there's any demand out there at all for my OE basketweave 15 inchers?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    Thanks Whit.

Should wheels requiring the hubcentric ring be avoided? Are the two different rims the same width? And what's the significance of the 23mm offset?

A pain to clean, perhaps, but worth it. You obviously agree. What issues have you faced with your wheels? What tires do you like, and what do they do for your car?

Oh, lastly, think there's any demand out there at all for my OE basketweave 15 inchers?

Sure thing. I run the E39 version; crappy tires aside, they're fine. My wheels aren't that great -- a few dings and curb rash from incompetent shipping and the original owner. Plus, with my current crappy & dusty brake pads, I tend to let them go.

Tires are subjective for the most part. I utterly hate my current Kumho 712's. Winfred & others like them a lot. Mine came used....included with the wheels, which could be part of the problem. Next time around, I'll probably get the ASXes or something with a higher rating on the 'rack.

I sold my basketweaves to Bret Luter because I was moving and couldn't take them with me. It's kind of a smart idea to hang onto them if you're planning on running the car in nasty winter weather -- snow tires are most effective with a svelte track and good tread. At this point, I face the dilemma of buying $800+ in wheels and snow tires or buying a winter beater, perhaps at a greater expense.

Offsets. 23mm is a medium offset. I know the 16" basketweaves on E38 cars have that particular number. The 18" version may be a bit lower -- I've never seen one in person and don't know. E34s have a lower offset -- 11/13 mm, IIRC. Others will have more to say on the issue; I'm being stupid at the moment and can't think straight

best, whit