GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headliner - Best course of action?

Default Headliner - Best course of action?

Hi,

I have a case of the sags, well, my car does. I've searched through the archives but didn't see a clear-cut solution.

The headliner is sagging in certain areas, particularly towards the rear. The fabric itself looks very good, with no stains or tears. Can it be repaired without replacing the entire fabric? I'm hoping that there is a way to peel back the loose part, spray some adhesive on it and tack it back in place. That would be so much easier than taking it all off and replacing.

If that's not an option, what is the next best course of action?

Thanks, as usual, for your help.

Regards,
    Adnan

I seem to recall someone talking about this before.

I think it was Shogun.

Do a search through his posts or his site.

HTH

Bob

Default headliner

It's very difficult, if not impossible to repair/reglue an aging, sagging headliner because the foam backing dissintegrates into a powdery, messy, gunky, pile of sh*%#!

Here are some sample replacement instructions;

http://headlinerkit.com/bmw/index.shtml

Default What about new material - sources?

Hi,

Thanks for the information, guys. Where is the best place to buy the right thickness of material?

Regards,
    Adnan

Quote Originally Posted by motuman
    It's very difficult, if not impossible to repair/reglue an aging, sagging headliner because the foam backing dissintegrates into a powdery, messy, gunky, pile of sh*%#!

Here are some sample replacement instructions;

http://headlinerkit.com/bmw/index.shtml
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by

[url
    http://headlinerkit.com/bmw/index.shtml[/url]
    Has anyone ordered from WLS? If so, do they sell the correct thickness liner w/ foam attached? I have Pergament interior, what color would be the closest match?- code 1771 as shown in their pic? (the colors are difficult to determine on their website..... ) Any idea of how much material to order- I have a NON-sunroof car....

I am at the point where mine needs to be done ASAP. It is sagging & looks like total hell (I can't believe I've let it go thus far..... )

Any tips on where to order the *exact* needed material for the job would be great.

Thanks!
    Don
    Don McAdams
    McAdams AutoSport
    www.McAdamsAutoSport.com
    '95 E34 525iT
    '88 E30 ///M3
    '85 E30 325e
    Vero Beach, FL

The WLS material is the thicker foam type, maybe 1/4", not the original material. It has that "funny" kind of feel to it, like nylon snagging on rough hands. It's not a cloth like material, but more like a nylon foam, if that makes any sense.
    At the Chicago meet, I did see the headliner in a Euro M5 done in Alcantera, it was sweet, I believe it was John's car. It was a black color. Very nice indeed, maybe that's a possibility for you Don?
    BTW, good to see you post! Hope everything is going good for you. How's that pretty little red car of mine??? =)

Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    The WLS material is the thicker foam type, maybe 1/4", not the original material. It has that "funny" kind of feel to it, like nylon snagging on rough hands. It's not a cloth like material, but more like a nylon foam, if that makes any sense.
    At the Chicago meet, I did see the headliner in a Euro M5 done in Alcantera, it was sweet, I believe it was John's car. It was a black color. Very nice indeed, maybe that's a possibility for you Don?
    BTW, good to see you post! Hope everything is going good for you. How's that pretty little red car of mine??? =)

Jr
    Hi Jr! Alcantara would be perfect, just not sure where to order it from! That was actually my first choice- The WLS material did look like it had a texture to it, funny you mention that!

I do "lurk" a lot on the board a lot Just not posting as much- I started my own business at home & watch my 2 little boys during the day, etc. (keeps me very busy )

Little Red is doing great !! Back to being a garage queen now that the house is done! Nice hearing from you Jr-

Take Care-
    Don
    Don McAdams
    McAdams AutoSport
    www.McAdamsAutoSport.com
    '95 E34 525iT
    '88 E30 ///M3
    '85 E30 325e
    Vero Beach, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Don McAdams
    Hi Jr! Alcantara would be perfect, just not sure where to order it from! That was actually my first choice- The WLS material did look like it had a texture to it, funny you mention that!

I do "lurk" a lot on the board a lot Just not posting as much- I started my own business at home & watch my 2 little boys during the day, etc. (keeps me very busy )

Little Red is doing great !! Back to being a garage queen now that the house is done! Nice hearing from you Jr-

Take Care-
    Don
    Make sure you have someone skilled to do Alcantara...as it doesn't stretch like the OE fabric. Leaving folds, etc. if not done correctly.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

I also have a headliner problem, but I found that spraying contact cement on the underside can soak the liner and discolor it. This is not good so I hope someone has a better solution... Or maybe I used the wrong contact cement??? Just yesterday someone said that Kragen's/Checker Auto has a headliner goo for sale, but I have not checked that out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast