GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M-System II/Throwing Star/Turbine Owners...Got a question?

Default M-System II/Throwing Star/Turbine Owners...Got a question

What kind of hardware did you use, if you replaced your Throwing Star/Turbine's hardware?

Wanting to replace, i've heard they use a unusual kind of bolt...that needs a certain key.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by MTechnik540i; 08-14-2005 at 11:15 PM.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

Turbine covers use the M6x30 bolt and Throwing star covers use the M6x20 bolt. Both require a triple-square hex key for installation/removal. These bolts are made of very soft alloy and strip easily. Apply liberal amounts of PB Blaster catalyst or WD40 and allow it to soak in before using a hand impact wrench to remove.

Cheers,

David

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik540i
    What kind of hardware did you use, if you replaced your Throwing Star/Turbine's hardware?

Wanting to replace, i've heard they use a unusual kind of bolt...that needs a certain key.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

if you need to order parts...you can get them from your local BMW dealer. I went to the online parts database and here are the part diagrams and part number indexes for each wheel:

Turbine (M System I) Style 20: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...22&hg=36&fg=15

Throwing Stars (M System II) Style 21: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=36&fg=15
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-15-2005 at 09:02 AM.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    if you need to order parts...you can get them from your local BMW dealer. I went to the online parts database and here are the part diagrams and part number indexes for each wheel:

Turbine (M System I) Style 20: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...22&hg=36&fg=15

Throwing Stars (M System II) Style 21: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...55&hg=36&fg=15

Thanks fellows!
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

no bmw dealer could tell me where i can get the tool to remove the bolt, i just found an allen wrench that would work and im just going to replace all the bolts next time i put the covers back on.

Hmmm, if the diameter of the bolt is small...I wonder if the sunroof tool will fit it. It's hard to believe that BMW would have something on the wheel that didn't have a tool in the toolkit to remove it.

Also, the Touring has a small socket and the larger spark plug tool (see the two #7s in the diagram for the Tourings tool kit): Diagram 7 part # index of e34 Touring's toolkit

I wonder if the small socket (in diagram above & pic below) fits...or like I mentioned earlier...the sunroof tool (since it has the shape of an allen wrench)...or even one of the smaller wrenches (spanners) in the trunk's tool kit.

Just curious?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-16-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

In a pinch, a 5mm hex key will fit -- just make sure it's hammered in good and tight first.

The proper 6mm triple-square tool is available from:

NAPA -- dodecagon head 12 pt. w. tapered shaft

Snap-On -- 6mm tool number FTSM6E

Lisle -- in a 4-pack, it's the smallest one

And the tightening torque is only 9NM (~6.5 lb-ft)

Cheers,

David