GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sealing the cam chain tensioner plug on a M30

Default sealing the cam chain tensioner plug on a M30

I don't seem to have the trick to get this plug to seal. New washer ring in place, have it cranked down firmly but don't want to reef on it (aluminum to aluminum). Silly thing still weaps oil.

Am I doing something wrong or should I just cave in and use some sealer on this thing?

Had this problem on the last couple go-rounds with my various M30's. Maybe I should go read the FSM and see what they suggest...

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

bump
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda

Default Got the same problem

I've got a leak here as well. Haven't put a new washer on it. Sounds like Jeff wasn't having much success either with a new washer. Anyone knows a solution?
    1992 BMW 535iA trying to become The Ultimate Driving Machine
    2001 Volvo V70 T5 ASR Our first Volvo. Wife says we are Volvo for Life
    Sammamish, WA

Default Cave in, just put a little bit of good old hylomar on it and it will

seal right up, still use the seal to though... unfortunately the genuis marketing guys at the local autozone have decide to no longer carry hylomar so i had to buy up all they had at this one... all their sealant products that were permatex are now loctite products instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    I don't seem to have the trick to get this plug to seal. New washer ring in place, have it cranked down firmly but don't want to reef on it (aluminum to aluminum). Silly thing still weaps oil.

Am I doing something wrong or should I just cave in and use some sealer on this thing?

Had this problem on the last couple go-rounds with my various M30's. Maybe I should go read the FSM and see what they suggest...

Jeff

Default I used hylomar on most of....

the seals during the engine build and only found one tube at a premium auto parts store. That tube didn't last long during my project! While I was there I stocked up on one of almost every permatex product they carried that Autozone does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    seal right up, still use the seal to though... unfortunately the genuis marketing guys at the local autozone have decide to no longer carry hylomar so i had to buy up all they had at this one... all their sealant products that were permatex are now loctite products instead.

Hylomar is a Permatex product & I find it at all the Napas around here although I don't use it too often anymore. It use to be very popular with the BMW motorcycle guys & was recommended by the factory but that was many years ago.

Default ditto..that's what I ended up doing.

Thanks for the tip on Hylomar...have to keep my eye's open. Our local chain is Kragen (dba Shucks in our area). Have to see what they do. Napa always seems to be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Bellevue WA

Default How do you prime the tensioner when putting the whole assembly back in

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Thanks for the tip on Hylomar...have to keep my eye's open. Our local chain is Kragen (dba Shucks in our area). Have to see what they do. Napa always seems to be a better option.
    Thanks for the note on Hylomar. Will run out and get some of this.

While searching for timing chain tensioner info. Found this link which indicates the tensioner must be re-primed when the plug is removed/reassembled.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...hain+tensioner

Bentley says to pour oil down the side of the timing chain cover so the the tensioner assembly is primed. I don't have the covers apart, do I just lube the whole assembly really well before installation?

*** Update: Found the relavent info. Looks like I'll be adjusting my valves too :-)

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/artic...ntensioner.asp
    Last edited by howardc64; 01-02-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Found the info using google. Looks like good time to adj the valves :-)
    1992 BMW 535iA trying to become The Ultimate Driving Machine
    2001 Volvo V70 T5 ASR Our first Volvo. Wife says we are Volvo for Life
    Sammamish, WA

I think you should sand surface it then replace it back .. seems that the surface is realy rough

Edit: Fiber washers work fine on metal sufaces.

Default Dude....after what you just did to your engine....

I'm not so sure many people are going to heed your words of wisdom! I'm just sayin what most people are thinking....that's all. Isn't that how Seinfeld made it big?

I should just go back to work on my project. It keeps me out of trouble here...

Quote Originally Posted by grave77
    I think you should sand surface it then replace it back .. seems that the surface is realy rough

Edit: Fiber washers work fine on metal sufaces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast