GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Column stalk questions

Default Column stalk questions

What exactly is the right hand column stalk supossed to do when you pull towards you, or push in the button?

On my car, pulling towards me activates both the windshield and headlamp washers, while pressing the button does nothing.

I have a feeling that's not how it's supposed to be.

Also, pressing the button on my right-hand stalk cycles through only the time and date. I thought it was supposed to cycle through all the trip computer's functions. What's up?

If you can press it in, which is kind of surprising to me because I thought it was only a feature found on later cars, it would activate intensive clean if there were headlamp washers.

Some handy people discovered that there's a wire in the center console that gets powered with it pressed in, as well, and have hooked up a garage door opener to it. Press the stalk in, open the garage or a gate. Sweet.

OBC step sequence can be programmed. Off the top of my head, I think you press the stalk in and hold it until the check control comes up with "PROG", then press the OBC function buttons in the order they're to be displayed and hit S/R.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    If you can press it in, which is kind of surprising to me because I thought it was only a feature found on later cars, it would activate intensive clean if there were headlamp washers.
    Well, I sure can, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I do have headlamp washers.

Some handy people discovered that there's a wire in the center console that gets powered with it pressed in, as well, and have hooked up a garage door opener to it. Press the stalk in, open the garage or a gate. Sweet.
    Cool. I'd be happy, though, if I could just wash the windshield without washing the whole front of the car!

OBC step sequence can be programmed. Off the top of my head, I think you press the stalk in and hold it until the check control comes up with "PROG", then press the OBC function buttons in the order they're to be displayed and hit S/R.
    Thanks, I'll try that, although I'm certain nobody has done this since the last battery change, and I thought it displayed all the functions by default.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    Well, I sure can, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I do have headlamp washers.

Cool. I'd be happy, though, if I could just wash the windshield without washing the whole front of the car!

Thanks, I'll try that, although I'm certain nobody has done this since the last battery change, and I thought it displayed all the functions by default.
    Jay....I didn't think you had a canadian (or otherwise non-US car) -- hence, yes, you probably have headlight washers and pressing the stalk IN should, if I remember what the owner's manual said, activate the lamp washers with every 3rd press of the switch. I forget specifics, and very rarely see an E34 with the feature, so...it beats me

What happened with your cooling problem? I was taking a break from the board for a week, and haven't yet come across the thread.

best, whit

Jay....I didn't think you had a canadian (or otherwise non-US car) -- hence, yes, you probably have headlight washers and pressing the stalk IN should, if I remember what the owner's manual said, activate the lamp washers with every 3rd press of the switch. I forget specifics, and very rarely see an E34 with the feature, so...it beats me

What happened with your cooling problem? I was taking a break from the board for a week, and haven't yet come across the thread.

best, whit
    Okay, whatever.

As for the cooling problem, see here: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...4895#post84895

The knob on th end of the wsher stalk will activate the intensive clean system
    if you have it.If you have a seperate piggy back tank on your waher tank with e red tag on which ays something about intensive cleaner then you have the system.when you activate the system it spays cleaning fluid onto your screen and lights the wioers wipe a couple of times another spray and then another cople of wipes......The headlamp washer are supposed to work with your norml washers but only every fifth time......The first culprit to check for your intensive clean is the pump
    All three pumps are the same as a normal washer pump
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    The knob on th end of the wsher stalk will activate the intensive clean system
    if you have it.If you have a seperate piggy back tank on your waher tank with e red tag on which ays something about intensive cleaner then you have the system.when you activate the system it spays cleaning fluid onto your screen and lights the wioers wipe a couple of times another spray and then another cople of wipes......The headlamp washer are supposed to work with your norml washers but only every fifth time......The first culprit to check for your intensive clean is the pump
    All three pumps are the same as a normal washer pump
    Ah, okay. So maybe when my lights are getting washed it's because of the one in five you mention, and my intensive spray pump is in fact broken. That would explain it. Cheers.

ukm5 Guest

I have that feature and it is to intesive clean the windscreen and lights, however you do need a seperate tank, which is located on mine at the top of the engine just under the windscreen, where i think some coolant expansion tanks are. Mines a 1989 so im guessing this has been an option from the beginning and mine is a UK car with i think what is called the bad weather pack, so i get plastic fuel tanks and headlight washers etc

Quote Originally Posted by ukm5
    I have that feature and it is to intesive clean the windscreen and lights, however you do need a seperate tank, which is located on mine at the top of the engine just under the windscreen, where i think some coolant expansion tanks are. Mines a 1989 so im guessing this has been an option from the beginning and mine is a UK car with i think what is called the bad weather pack, so i get plastic fuel tanks and headlight washers etc
    I have the extra tank, but no action when I press the button. Probably the pump, I guess.