GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Air Tool help

Default Air Tool help

I'll finally be getting a garage after 2+ years of on street parking! I want to celebrate by purchasing an air compressor and associated wrenches etc. I know many of you have gone down this road already so I'm looking for a list of essential items, recommendations and advice.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Let me start by saying I'm NOT an expert- but I own a couple of different compressors.

I would get the largest compressor you can afford and that fits in the space you have available. It sort of depends on your anticipated use for the compressor, but you'll never find yourself saying "darn it, I wish this compressor ran out of air more often!!".... but you will find yourself VERY frustrated if you get one that is too small and you have to wait for it to cycle on and build up pressure time and time again.

Another thing you need to realize is, air compressors are nice to have, but they are NOT the magic cure to all of your tool inadequacies.... What I mean by that is, many of the high torque nuts + bolts that you find on your cars (rear axle nuts, front crank nuts, etc) will come loose just as easy with a good strong breaker bar and cheater pipe as they will with a 1/2" air wrench. I have run into situations where my 1/2" air wrench just could not get something loose, but it came right off when I used my 1/2" breaker bar with 4 ft pipe on it!! On the other hand, it's nice to be able to spin things loose with an air wrench.

I would recommend a good sized belt driven oil type compressor vs a direct drive oil-less compressor. If you can, get a 2 stage compressor for maximum air capacity and higher operating pressure than the single stage. Basically, a 2 stage compressor uses 2 cylinders in series, the first one compresses outside air to a certain point, then passes it to the 2nd cylinder, where it gets compressed even more- thus the higher pressures with this type of compressor. Single stage compressors use 1 cylinder (or sometimes 2 cylinders in parallel- they do NOT feed from one to the other), and compress the outside air only 1 time. Oil-less compressors use teflon lined or similar cylinder walls VS standard compressors which are much like an old car engine- they use oil to lube the "bottom end" of the compressor pump.

Now, for tools, here is a brief list off the top of my head of must-haves:

1- 1/2" air wrench
    1- 3/8" air ratchet
    1- tire air valve (for filling up tires)
    1- blow gun

plenty of good quality quick-release fittings for each tool

Assorted air impact sockets (the black ones)- you can use your chrome sockets, but they are supposedly more brittle and prone to shattering when used with air tools. I bought several sets of 1/2" and 3/8" sockets very cheaply from Harbor Freight on sale- though a couple of them have broken (split sides) under very light use- I also have a couple of Craftsman impact socket sets and have not broken any of them yet.

I also use a small air cutoff wheel quite alot- the one I have is a cheapie but works well- it takes TONS of air though..

This should be a good start for you- do a google search for air compressors or compressor comparison to see what other info is out there.

Bret

Look at the tools you plan to be using. Check what CFM and air pressure they need too operate. Then make sure what ever compressor you buy can supply those needs. The sanders are the biggest drain. So if you plan on painting and sanding check out those tools for air requirements. Also and plan ahead. Is it going to run on 110 or 220? Do you want portable or fixed compressor. All questions you need to answer.

I have had air tools for a long time and would not turn back.
    Ted K
    90 535 5-speed

Everything Bret said AND...

an AIR hammer, especially if you live in a place where it snows or work on anything American made.

Both situations absolutely merit owning a good air hammer and an assortment of bits; I use hammer and chisel bits all the time.

A good whizzle (sp?) wheel is also handy if you're doing gaskets and want to rapidly clean a flange (aluminum or otherwise, depending on the attachment).

Other great tools to own (well, there was a thread on this a few months ago and another a few weeks ago) for the home enthusiast: a sawzall and an oxyacetylene torch. One can do many things with those two items...life saving, project continuing things

best, whit