GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT GPS Software

Default OT GPS Software

Nothing like the last minute to be getting stuff for the trip, I really want to have GPS again.

The big things I need are.

Cheap
    Fast to get

The best match I have found is Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator at 125 bucks that I can go get at Best Buy, Get an AC / DC converter or a laptop charger for the AC and I am all set. Has anyone used MS Streets and Trips before? Or has a better suggestion in the same prince range?

-Charles

Ive used it, but never with the GPS locator. If you can buy the GPS locator separately, streets and trips should be easy enough to find on the bittorrent networks, if you're into that sort of thing.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    Nothing like the last minute to be getting stuff for the trip, I really want to have GPS again.

Cheap
    Fast to get

The best match I have found is Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator at 125 bucks that I can go get at Best Buy, Get an AC / DC converter or a laptop charger for the AC and I am all set. Has anyone used MS Streets and Trips before? Or has a better suggestion in the same prince range?

-Charles
    You can buy the Garmin E-Trex Legend handheld GPS ($200) that comes with a fairly good basemap of the U.S. in it (it even has info of the businesses at interstate exits) and later add the software to change the maps and/or detial of said maps.

-ashley
    http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by acyre
    You can buy the Garmin E-Trex Legend handheld GPS ($200) that comes with a fairly good basemap of the U.S. in it (it even has info of the businesses at interstate exits) and later add the software to change the maps and/or detial of said maps.

-ashley
    http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/
    I will have to check that out, thanks

I don't like S&T with a gps, not enough options. I used Delorme for the GPS on my carputer.

If you have time to order one check out Deluo They have some nice solutions that aren't very expensive. I used one of their USB receivers for a long time and will be buying one of their bluetooth ones to use with my ipaq and my treo.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote

Cheap
    Fast to get

-Charles
    That is the exact setup i am using. I bought the ms streets and trips software and gps antenna, but im using iGuidance for software as well. MS Streets and Trips has more road info, but the iGuidance layout is much better for using it while moving. Streets and Trips does not have voice guidance, or i haven't found out how to enable it if there is. The antenna works well though, syncs with satellites in about 15-30 seconds tops.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    That is the exact setup i am using. I bought the ms streets and trips software and gps antenna, but im using iGuidance for software as well. MS Streets and Trips has more road info, but the iGuidance layout is much better for using it while moving. Streets and Trips does not have voice guidance, or i haven't found out how to enable it if there is. The antenna works well though, syncs with satellites in about 15-30 seconds tops.
    I used to have traveroute and it was great at the time, however it takes weeks to show up, and I really don't want to be lost in on the trip this weekend.

I would like to check out iGuidance when I am up there if you could bring it with you.

-Charles

btw... got your message, looks like you already signed off however.

Default gps

I got a copy of Iguidance 2.1!

I'm slowly gathering some software for a possible carPC

I got the Delorme EarthMate GPS LT-20 (With Street Atlas USA)

Even better then the MS kit I was going to get, prop not as good as my traveroute, that and a direct dc charger(universial) for the laptop, 220 USD at bestbuy.

That and the stuff from bimmerd00d and no more toys till after I get in the new house :-(

-Charles

Belkin Bluetooth GPS coupled with an HP iPaq 4150 PDA... top it off with a dash mount. Works great!

Oh yes... software. Mapopolis!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World