GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I'm a little stumped ...

Default I'm a little stumped ...

Hello all my 1990 525i has just developed some interesting problems. While traveling out of town in stop and go traffic for an extended period with the ac on suddenly the radio, obc and service interval indicator went off and with that the power seats, windows, sunroof, and locks all stopped functioning. The ac and blower, power mirrors, insturments, digital display (where it would say "tail lamp out", etc still function. Here's where it gets wierd, after letting the car sit a bit it works fine, starts back ok, up but if you turn the air on suddenly everything stops working again. That is until pulling in the drive when everything came back to life again (air still on). I only got the message "check control" once on the display then it went away and didn't come up the next time the car was started. I will say that the battery was shot so i put in a new battery but it still is doing this. The alternator is performing acceptably and there are no dirvability problems. All this has occoured since yesterday and I really need the car to be functioning ASAP.

Any Ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    BH

Default You have a hairline crack in a fusible link, if you go here to

Bruno's site you'll find the fix, very common problem

Quote Originally Posted by BHBMW
    Hello all my 1990 525i has just developed some interesting problems. While traveling out of town in stop and go traffic for an extended period with the ac on suddenly the radio, obc and service interval indicator went off and with that the power seats, windows, sunroof, and locks all stopped functioning. The ac and blower, power mirrors, insturments, digital display (where it would say "tail lamp out", etc still function. Here's where it gets wierd, after letting the car sit a bit it works fine, starts back ok, up but if you turn the air on suddenly everything stops working again. That is until pulling in the drive when everything came back to life again (air still on). I only got the message "check control" once on the display then it went away and didn't come up the next time the car was started. I will say that the battery was shot so i put in a new battery but it still is doing this. The alternator is performing acceptably and there are no dirvability problems. All this has occoured since yesterday and I really need the car to be functioning ASAP.

Any Ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    BH

ummm yep!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

That was exactly it ... Thank you very much

BH

I'm obviously learning something about these cars, because when I first read this post before anyone had replied, I go: fuseable link. I didn't want to send BHBMW on a wild goose chase if I was wrong, but you spend some time around here and voila! I really didn't know much about cars before I got here.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA