GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Battery light in dash?

Default Battery light in dash?

It's been raining here so when I go over a bit of a large puddle the battery light will go on. Why does this occur? Anything to worry about?
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

try to slow down when u're hitting these puddles...your battery is under your back seat however, so its weird that your warning light goes on...

Default Your alternator belt is either too loose or too deteriorated and when you -

hit the big puddle its soaking the alternator belt and slipping so much that the alternator is not charging enough. I'd fix it before it causes other problems.
    That or you're splashing so much that its going into the cooling air intake for the alternator and soaking it enough to short the brushes...If thats the case you better slow down on those puddles

Quote Originally Posted by Kennan
    It's been raining here so when I go over a bit of a large puddle the battery light will go on. Why does this occur? Anything to worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    hit the big puddle its soaking the alternator belt and slipping so much that the alternator is not charging enough. I'd fix it before it causes other problems.
    That or you're splashing so much that its going into the cooling air intake for the alternator and soaking it enough to short the brushes...If thats the case you better slow down on those puddles
    How much would this cost to repair at a shop? Do I need to change the belt or just get it tightened?
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

Default You need to inspect it first to determine if the belt is in good -

condition or if it needs to be replaced, its its dried out, cracked, or burnt then you can plan on changing it.. If the condition looks good but its loose then retension it... I have no idea what most shops would charge to do this. It seems to vary tremendously across the country. I would advise you to do it yourself since its not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennan
    How much would this cost to repair at a shop? Do I need to change the belt or just get it tightened?