GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for a winter beater

Default Advice needed for a winter beater

As the e36 looks like its not going to be ready in time for school, and even if it is Im not looking forward to driving it in the snow. So I have a couple grand to play with on something that is AWD, comfortable at speeds on the highway, decent gas mileage, and a car. And even though its a beater I would like it to be somewhat pleasing to the eye. Im not to worried about working on it, im going to a tech school so none fo that will be an issue as long as I can count on it to start up on a cold morning. Right now I dont have a big knowledge of what is AWD out there but I was looking at Audi 90s, E30 325ix, and a couple of subabrus. Any another ideas or reasons why I should/nt get any of those. Thanks

I would go with the subaru or an audi. Both are deals when bought used because...let's face it...people overlook subarus.

I would not get an E30 iX. Most of the drivetrain is iX specific, even manual/automatic transmission specific... Ergo, while parts for every other E30 are ubiquitous and cheap, it's extremely hard to find iX replacements at a wrecker.

If it were my decision, I'd buy the subaru.

best, whit

I agree with Whit on the subaru. I distrust Audi's (seen too many people have problems with them) but I've NEVER had a subaru let me down. My first car was an 87 Subaru GL, thing ran and ran and ran and ran.....

Seriously, a subaru is the way to go. Parts are easy to find and pretty cheap. I had an 82 GL and an 88 Justy in high school and they got me thru the tough Lake Tahoe winters without a hiccup. Hell, I drove the 82 with a cracked head for a couple years-

Buy yourself a set of snow tires and save the rest of money for something else.

One of our old board members had a Subaru Justy for a beater. We literally beat the hell out of that car and it just kept on going and going.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

ukm5 Guest

E34 525ix - im suprised no one has suggested it

Quote Originally Posted by ukm5
    E34 525ix - im suprised no one has suggested it

next to impossible to find in the states.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Default a two thousand dollar Subaru 4 X 4????

Here in New England such a car would have big rust holes everywhere.....

Check out pre-1993 Saab 900 turbos, back to about 1990. OK, no four wheel drive but still a great snow car. These cars are really undervalued because the repairs are not every shops piece of cake. Well build and strong. The transmission can be an issue, so check maintenance records.

Saabnet.com will tell you everything you need to know, a perfect car for someone with access to technical school auto shop facilities. Be sure to find a non-cosmetically challenged example, but don't worry if the headliner is droopy, easy fix.

Fun cars too,

John

I agree with Tiger about the snow tires, if your E36 is ready to drive, enjoy it with a good set of Blizzaks on steel rims. I was amazed at how well my 535 did in our MN winters with that set-up. I paid about $350 for the used (1 season on the tires) set with steel rims. A few bucks more for the couple bags of sand in the trunk and was ready to roll!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast